Rain falls in Valley; extra precautions urged
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- With rain falling around the Valley, residents are facing some treacherous conditions and taking extra precautions.
Before the leaves piled up, crews spent most of the summer clearing drains and waterways preparing for days like this.
Fresno city crews say that means when the wind and rain comes they can dedicate their time to clean up, and lots of it.
"Leaves are still falling, so we're constantly out there picking up leaves, they're falling faster than we can pick them up even after we go pick them up 10 minutes later they're down again," Fresno Sanitation Supervisor Phillip Weathers said.
While they do so the folks in Clovis ask that you clear leaves out of your gutters. They also have sandbags should you need them.
"If you have an area around your home where maybe the slope or grade goes to your house or impacts your driveway, sandbags create a nice diversion so it keeps the water flowing away from your home," Chad Fitzgerald of the City of Clovis said.
Fitzgerald also urges Valley drivers to slow down.
"The rain creates a weird effect on the ground before you know it you could be in to a flooded intersection or road if you haven't taken the time," Fitzgerald said.
Rainy days can cause accidents like one on Herndon and Villa in Clovis. The driver was pinned after slamming into a tree.. He's in the hospital and as day turns to night city leaders remind drivers it may be even harder to see.
Authorities also remind people never to step foot or drive through flooded areas. You don't know what's underneath and the water moves fast.
fresno, fresno county, central valley, local, stephanie stone
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting 45 min ago
- New details unfold in fatal Fresno PD shooting
- Amber Alert canceled: Long Beach boy found safe
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say 6 min ago
- Los Angeles police arrest man in severed head case
- Electricity problems hit Fresno Co. Sheriff's Office
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash
- Photos: Pictures from Malaysia Airlines incident
- Craigslist played role in Madera Co. shooting
5 min ago