Rain falls in Valley; extra precautions urged
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- With rain falling around the Valley, residents are facing some treacherous conditions and taking extra precautions.
Before the leaves piled up, crews spent most of the summer clearing drains and waterways preparing for days like this.
Fresno city crews say that means when the wind and rain comes they can dedicate their time to clean up, and lots of it.
"Leaves are still falling, so we're constantly out there picking up leaves, they're falling faster than we can pick them up even after we go pick them up 10 minutes later they're down again," Fresno Sanitation Supervisor Phillip Weathers said.
While they do so the folks in Clovis ask that you clear leaves out of your gutters. They also have sandbags should you need them.
"If you have an area around your home where maybe the slope or grade goes to your house or impacts your driveway, sandbags create a nice diversion so it keeps the water flowing away from your home," Chad Fitzgerald of the City of Clovis said.
Fitzgerald also urges Valley drivers to slow down.
"The rain creates a weird effect on the ground before you know it you could be in to a flooded intersection or road if you haven't taken the time," Fitzgerald said.
Rainy days can cause accidents like one on Herndon and Villa in Clovis. The driver was pinned after slamming into a tree.. He's in the hospital and as day turns to night city leaders remind drivers it may be even harder to see.
Authorities also remind people never to step foot or drive through flooded areas. You don't know what's underneath and the water moves fast.
fresno, fresno county, central valley, local, stephanie stone
- One injured in Central Fresno drive-by shooting
- Animal shelter seeks donations to keep dogs warm
- Freezing temperatures take toll on small Valley farms
- Police increase patrols on Fulton Mall after shooting 15 min ago
- Madera man accused of murder faces unique circumstances 5 min ago
- Good Sports: Coach Mark Rogers
- Red Wave Gets To See Carr One Last Time
- Tips to keep cars running during cold weather
- Three missing Dinuba children found safe
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95
- North Korea deports elderly Bay Area man
- Police block Mexico hospital, 6 may have radiation
- 2 arrested on sex trafficking charges
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Madera man charged with murder faces unique...
14 min ago