Rainy weather hampering Valley holiday activities
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Wet weather is putting a damper on some businesses and organizations that count on staying busy this time of the year.
Volunteers at the Toys for Tots tents at River Park braved the rain as they took donations for their annual holiday campaign.
The wet weather, though, is slowing down donations.
"I think maybe people get wet and rain and they don't like getting out of their cars and maybe its going to keep them indoors on a nice chilly day like today," William Cardinal of the U.S. Marine Corps said.
ABC30 is a proud sponsor of Toys for Tots. The Marine Corps is hoping to get more than 100 thousand toys just for Fresno County alone.
They're urging people to not let a little or even a lot of rain hurt Christmas for children in need this year.
"Please don't let the rain discourage you come on by come help us help a child this year so everybody can get a Christmas," Cardinal said.
All the rain forced the Fresno Chaffee Zoo to cancel its holiday Zoo Lights event for Saturday. Since Nov. 23 the zoo has decorated exhibits with festive lights for the public to enjoy.
Michelle Vargas drove down from Oregon to sell Christmas trees from her uncle's farm. So far over the weekend, though, business has been slow.
"It is hurting us. This should have been one of our big weekends because it's the first," Vargas said.
This is the first year Vargas is setting up her shop at Blackstone and Santa Ana. She hopes to weather clears a little bit so they can see more customers.
"Come see us, even if it's raining we'll be here," Vargas said.
central valley, holiday, fresno, fresno county, local, jessica peres
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai 52 min ago
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea
- Public tickets to the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl sold out
- Calif senator: Revenge porn law should include selfies
- Mega Million Winning Numbers
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Scams can include investments with friends
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
51 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos