Merced police investigating double homicide
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Merced police are investigating a double murder. Authorities say 21-year-old Luis Morales and 21-year-old Benjamin Marino were shot to death around 4 a.m. Saturday.
Police went to the area of Canal Street and 23rd after someone reported seeing a man with a gun.
The first officer to arrive found both victims' bodies near the Merced City School District building.
Detectives have not made any arrests in the case yet, and they say it's not clear yet if the shooting was gang-related.
"It's too early to tell at this time. We're trying to determine the motivation of the killing, so we'll have to continue the investigation," Lt. Tom Trinidad of the Merced Police Dept. said.
"It's scary, I feel for the families of the victims because here it is the holiday time, they've got to bury a loved one. And I'm sure someone loved them," Merced resident Myrtle Rochel said.
Investigators are asking anyone with information to call the Merced Police Department.
merced, merced county, crimetracker, homicide, murder, local
- Merced PD looks for witnesses to deadly shooting 19 min ago
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- Ukrainians in Fresno react to Crimea vote
- LA police say no leads in abduction of 4 kids
- Fresno State men's basketball to play in CBI tourney 36 min ago
- Child may be to blame for Fresno garage fire
- Crash sends Fresno police car into canal
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- Merced police seek help to catch armed robber
- 2.8-magnitude earthquake hits Coalinga area
- Runners hit streets for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- Clovis sting busts adults buying alcohol for minors
- Magnitude-6.7 quake hits Chile's northern coast
- Oprah Winfrey to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
- Merced PD looks for witnesses to deadly...
23 min ago
- Los Angeles police get loaner Lamborghini
7 min ago