Merced police investigating double homicide
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Merced police are investigating a double murder. Authorities say 21-year-old Luis Morales and 21-year-old Benjamin Marino were shot to death around 4 a.m. Saturday.
Police went to the area of Canal Street and 23rd after someone reported seeing a man with a gun.
The first officer to arrive found both victims' bodies near the Merced City School District building.
Detectives have not made any arrests in the case yet, and they say it's not clear yet if the shooting was gang-related.
"It's too early to tell at this time. We're trying to determine the motivation of the killing, so we'll have to continue the investigation," Lt. Tom Trinidad of the Merced Police Dept. said.
"It's scary, I feel for the families of the victims because here it is the holiday time, they've got to bury a loved one. And I'm sure someone loved them," Merced resident Myrtle Rochel said.
Investigators are asking anyone with information to call the Merced Police Department.
merced, merced county, crimetracker, homicide, murder, local
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight 19 min ago
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno apartment
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate SoCal hospital attacks 11 min ago
- Sikh community celebrates Vaisakhi in Caruthers
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Grim work for families as more bodies discovered 6 min ago
- 7,000 Easter eggs rain down from helicopter
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al-Qaida training camps
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help
- Prizefighter Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Health Watch: 5 clues to Alzheimer's 26 min ago