Fresno's ice skating rink does better than expected
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The people behind Downtown Fresno's ice skating rink report attendance has been better than expected. In the last three weeks, 8,700 people have taken to the ice and visitors can't stop raving. "When we moved here from Illinois, my kids were like, 'Oh, there's no snow, there's no ice.' And then when I told them there was ice skating in Downtown Fresno, they were very excited about it," said Joanna Woodyatt of Exeter.
The ice skating rink was brought to the Fulton Mall through the Downtown Fresno Partnership in an effort to get people downtown. Some businesses along the Fulton Mall have benefited, including Fresno Brewing Company. "It's definitely a whole family affair. People are coming out, you know, date night. They'll come in have a drink, go skating, come back, you know. It's been fantastic so far," said owner Ephiram Bosse.
Still, most businesses along the Fulton Mall remain closed after dark despite the new addition. California Pants is one of the few retailers open past 6 p.m. The manager isn't impressed. "Nothing's changed. It's the same. I don't see any difference," said Ali Nour.
Kate Borders with the Downtown Fresno Partnership says the effort is working. She calls year one a learning experience for the partnership, the businesses, and visitors. "You don't do anything for today. You do it for, 'How is this going to affect us in the future?' And I think this will have a positive effect for many years to come," said Borders.
fresno downtown, fresno, fresno county, local, amanda perez
- Bloody burglary suspect caught by Madera neighbors 12 min ago
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000
- Valley cities among those where residents feel least safe 18 min ago
- Burglars steal firefighting tools from Forest Service
- 3 protesters killed in attack on Ukrainian base
- Gunmen attack Iraq military base, kill 10 soldiers
- Two dead after gunfire in the town of Lindcove
- Teen kicked in head taking selfie in front...
- Missing kid found stuck in coin-operated game
- Fresno County jail inmate death labeled a homicide 11 min ago
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach
- Honey oil safety class for firefighters in Fresno
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos