Helping the agencies that help those in need
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The holiday season is in full swing at the Poverello House and Fresno Rescue Mission.
As the tree lights go up at the Poverello House, it's definitely looking a lot like Christmas. Poverello House employees say they are getting ready to welcome hundreds inside their doors.
Doreen Eley said, "It doesn't matter what your age, or what your current circumstances are, everyone loves Christmas and we're just really delighted to get into that with our clients."
On Christmas day, Poverello House will give out toys to hundreds of kids. Volunteers say their faces are priceless. Now Poverello is collecting toys.
Eley said, "We need some toys particularly for the ages 0 - 6. I know, they're really difficult to buy for so gift cards are great for them and little educational things for kids ages zero to 6."
Besides toys, Poverello House is also in need of food items like hams to non-perishable food items to complete the Christmas meal.
Over at the Fresno Rescue Mission, the halls have been decked with trees and lots of holiday décor. The mission at The Rescue Mission this holiday season: help every family that walks in the door.
Larry Arcer said, "From now until Christmas there's going to be quite a few families coming in and asking for toys and us to help them out."
Fresno Mission says it's important not to lose sight of the spirit of the holiday.
Arcer said, "In spite of all the things we're seeing in the economy and all that kinds of things, just to keep up the joy and hope that's a part of Christmas."
While many of us celebrate the Christmas season, service agencies are hoping to give that same feeling to families in need in our community. They say your donation will go a long way this season.
local, amanda venegas
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- California farmers to get more water
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Heart of the Horse is expanding
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Calwa Catholics mark Good Friday with procession
- Health Watch: depressed preschoolers?
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos