Helping the agencies that help those in need
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The holiday season is in full swing at the Poverello House and Fresno Rescue Mission.
As the tree lights go up at the Poverello House, it's definitely looking a lot like Christmas. Poverello House employees say they are getting ready to welcome hundreds inside their doors.
Doreen Eley said, "It doesn't matter what your age, or what your current circumstances are, everyone loves Christmas and we're just really delighted to get into that with our clients."
On Christmas day, Poverello House will give out toys to hundreds of kids. Volunteers say their faces are priceless. Now Poverello is collecting toys.
Eley said, "We need some toys particularly for the ages 0 - 6. I know, they're really difficult to buy for so gift cards are great for them and little educational things for kids ages zero to 6."
Besides toys, Poverello House is also in need of food items like hams to non-perishable food items to complete the Christmas meal.
Over at the Fresno Rescue Mission, the halls have been decked with trees and lots of holiday décor. The mission at The Rescue Mission this holiday season: help every family that walks in the door.
Larry Arcer said, "From now until Christmas there's going to be quite a few families coming in and asking for toys and us to help them out."
Fresno Mission says it's important not to lose sight of the spirit of the holiday.
Arcer said, "In spite of all the things we're seeing in the economy and all that kinds of things, just to keep up the joy and hope that's a part of Christmas."
While many of us celebrate the Christmas season, service agencies are hoping to give that same feeling to families in need in our community. They say your donation will go a long way this season.
local, amanda venegas
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- In-N-Out opens in Hanford
- Figure skating champ Boitano says he's gay
- Police arrest escaped Merced C.O. Jail inmate
- New Mexico Supreme Court: Same-sex marriage legal
- Elderly woman critically injured in Fresno house fire
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Homicide investigated at Porterville Developmental Center
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- Murders, car thefts, robberies up in...
45 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos