Helping the agencies that help those in need
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The holiday season is in full swing at the Poverello House and Fresno Rescue Mission.
As the tree lights go up at the Poverello House, it's definitely looking a lot like Christmas. Poverello House employees say they are getting ready to welcome hundreds inside their doors.
Doreen Eley said, "It doesn't matter what your age, or what your current circumstances are, everyone loves Christmas and we're just really delighted to get into that with our clients."
On Christmas day, Poverello House will give out toys to hundreds of kids. Volunteers say their faces are priceless. Now Poverello is collecting toys.
Eley said, "We need some toys particularly for the ages 0 - 6. I know, they're really difficult to buy for so gift cards are great for them and little educational things for kids ages zero to 6."
Besides toys, Poverello House is also in need of food items like hams to non-perishable food items to complete the Christmas meal.
Over at the Fresno Rescue Mission, the halls have been decked with trees and lots of holiday décor. The mission at The Rescue Mission this holiday season: help every family that walks in the door.
Larry Arcer said, "From now until Christmas there's going to be quite a few families coming in and asking for toys and us to help them out."
Fresno Mission says it's important not to lose sight of the spirit of the holiday.
Arcer said, "In spite of all the things we're seeing in the economy and all that kinds of things, just to keep up the joy and hope that's a part of Christmas."
While many of us celebrate the Christmas season, service agencies are hoping to give that same feeling to families in need in our community. They say your donation will go a long way this season.
local, amanda venegas
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash
- Man holds out atop roof of San Diego FBI building
- Toddler uses FaceTime to help mom after dog bite
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- New Target store opens in Northwest Fresno
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week