Man dead after Fresno Co hit-and-run crash
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Authorities are searching for the driver who hit and killed a bicyclist in Fresno County.
The man was left lying in the bushes along the highway.
The fatal collision happened when the victim was riding his bike southbound on Golden State near Jefferson in Fresno County.
The unidentified man's body was found in tall brush.
The Highway Patrol says details like when the fatal hit-and-run happened are still unclear because they have no witnesses including the driver who hit the bicyclist.
"Based on investigations at the scene it is pretty clear that another vehicle was involved and that it happened sometime in the late night early morning hours. That was confirmed through conversations with the coroner's office," Sgt Gil Peirsol of the Highway Patrol said.
Not until 10:40 Saturday morning was the man's bike spotted next to the road by another driver. That person did stop, and soon found the man's body then called 911.
The speed limit in the area is 65 miles an hour. The lanes are also dark at night.
There is a bike lane but Sgt. Peirsol says he's not sure yet who is at fault for the man's death and the tragedy here should be a reminder to other bicyclists - to be safe on the road.
"Good point for all the bicyclists out there, to have reflectors on the bike, lights and reflectorized clothing. It doesn't appear that that was the case with this particular bicyclist," Peirsol said.
The man has been identified but his name is not being released as officials are currently notifying his family. They're also asking anyone with information or anyone who saw something Friday night or Saturday morning to give them a call.
fresno county, accident, hit and run, local, rick montanez
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed 12 min ago
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
- Clovis man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Marketplace at El Paseo holds grand opening
- PlayStation 4's faulty parental controls
- Hip surgery complication: Uneven limbs
- Video: Take a tour of the 'smartphone home'
- Photos: Pictures from Malaysia Airlines incident