Fresno boy, 12, on life support after possible gang shooting
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Bullet holes are still visible in the front window of the house where the boy was shot. Neighbors told Action News they heard six to ten gunshots. Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer says they don't know who did the shooting or why.
"What we do know is about nine o'clock last night an individual got out of a vehicle walked up to the house, fired multiple rounds into the house and unfortunately a 12 year old boy was struck in the upper body and is in critical, in fact grave condition and is on life support."
Dyer says up to a dozen people were in the house and someone inside, possibly a family member was the intended target.
"We are still trying to determine what the motive was for the shooting," Chief Dyer said. "We know he was an unintended target perhaps a mistaken identity and we don't have many leads as to who was responsible for this shooting."
Police say the home was known as a "gang house" and they fear the shooting could trigger violent retaliation. Dyer says a dozen detectives are on the case.
The wounded boy is a student of the Fresno Unified School District, but a school spokesperson declined to say which school the boy attended.
shooting, crimetracker, fresno police department, fresno east central, fresno, fresno county, local, gene haagenson
- Man missing near Shaver Lake found alive and well 2 min ago
- Malaysia widens search for missing plane
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno
- Rockets strike Israel, jeopardizing truce talk
- Photos: 2 dead after car hits crowd at SXSW
- Photos: $2.35 million Modern Family home for sale
- Driver kills 2, injures 23 at SXSW festival, police say
- Searchers scour rubble after gas explosion kills 7
- Golden Gate Bridge survivor speaks at Fresno State
- Applications for US jobless aid dip to 3-month low
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Undercover: CPD stopping alcohol sales to minors
- Fresno police connect vintage car thefts to guns, gangs
- Fresno's most notorious mass murder remembered