Police warn of crime increase along famous boulevard
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A personal crime warning in Southeast Fresno was delivered by police Thursday. A recent uptick in crime along Huntington Boulevard prompted door-to-door contact with people living in the historic neighborhood.
Police are hoping to get the message out that criminals jump on any opportunity they can find, especially while many of us are preoccupied with the holiday season. "Making sure that they're not leaving packages in their car when they're coming home, making sure their homes are locked when they go out and do their Christmas shopping," said Fresno Police Sergeant Mark Hudson.
Homes along Huntington are all lit up for Christmas, including Nancy Bullard's. She's lived there for more than 30 years and only now locks up everything.
"All these years I've never done that," Bullard said. "Particularly this last year, when things seemed to be worse. So now, if I leave the house during the day, even in the backyard I lock and take the key with me."
Police said in the last month as many as 8 homes and 10 cars have been broken into. "Backpacks, purses that are left in cars," Sgt. Hudson said. "There's been a laptop that's been reported stolen from a vehicle break in. In homes people are going in after gold or jewelry."
18-year-old Earnest Byrd was arrested. Police said he admitted to breaking into a home along Huntington Blvd, and he may be connected to other cases.
Norma Torres said even thought her car was vandalized a few months ago, she thinks the extra attention is a bit much.
"A crime is not just on the southeast side, not just on Huntington Blvd. It's everywhere," Torres said.
Joggers and walkers in the area were also warned. Some neighbors just worry the vigilance is changing the look of the famous boulevard.
"I guess I've always thought that a friendly house, lights on and everything open, I liked that. You just can't always do it now," Bullard said.
As we get closer to the holiday police are planning more door-to-door notifications in other Fresno neighborhoods.
crimetracker, holiday, fresno police department, facebook, fresno southeast, fresno, fresno county, local, rick montanez
- One person shot near the ice rink at the Fulton Mall
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Two of three missing Dinuba children found safe
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95
- Candlelight Christmas Tractor Parade and Wine Stroll
- Effort to complete Herndon bike trail underway
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Wanted Fresno burglar caught on camera
- Body of missing Delano woman found in canal
- Two injured in Madera drive-by shooting
- American teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- US economy grows at 3.6 percent rate in 3rd quarter
- Foothill residents preparing for freezing temps
- US jobless claims drop to 316,000, as layoffs slow
- Fire Safety