Roller derby teams head to Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- In a matter of seconds, the players from Oly Roller Derby and Port City Roller Derby made history participating in the first ever bout of the U.S.A. Roller Sports national competition.
"It's awesome. the teams have been wanting this for awhile, the rule set is exciting, it's fast , it's fun, its hard-hitting, they're very excited to be here," U.S.A. Roller Sports Derby Director Danielle Fairbanks said.
A total of eight teams are competing in Fresno for a chance to win the title and bragging rights of the national championship.
"We've got teams all the way from the Alabama, the Mobile area, all the way up to Washington, the Olympia team. they come from all different areas," Fairbanks said.
The national organization picked Fresno for the inaugural event because of several factors including the support of local skaters from Notown Roller Derby and the facilities in Downtown Fresno.
"In Fresno yes, so it's a really big event for Fresno, a really big deal," Notown Roller Derby skater Kelsey Oliver said.
Skaters say roller derby is a unique sport combining athleticism with flairs of fashion and attitude and that has them coming back for more.
"Just that I love to do it. it's good exercise, it's a good way to make friends, it's a sisterhood," Toni Will of Tulsa Derby League All-Stars said.
At the end of the weekend, although only one team will be crowned champions, enthusiasts say every skater has played a role in making the first national championship a success.
There are several games planed for Friday and into Sunday. The championship game will be played Sunday at 4 p.m.
fresno, fresno county, local, amanda venegas
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting 37 min ago
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera 12 min ago
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos