Officer-involved shooting investigation in Central Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A 30-year-old man is dead after an officer-involved shooting in Central Fresno.
Captain Randy Dobbins tells Action News, a tactical team had staged at the Cedar Woods Apartment Complex looking for a suspect from a November shooting. Detectives watched as the man left one of the units and walked towards an SUV.
When asked to surrender, Dobbins said, "At that point they identified themselves and demanded he submit to an arrest. The suspect reached into his waistband and the officers saw a handgun."
Police were following leads after a gang-related shooting in Pinedale on November 10th. The victim in that shooting sustained non-life threatening injuries. Detectives say the 30-year-old man they were after was their main suspect. He's believed to be a known gang member and has an extensive criminal history.
"Robberies, in at least three separate occasions he was in possession of a firearm," Dobbins said. "In one of those occasions he had two handguns in his possession at the time he was arrested."
Police say they'd been after the suspect for the past few weeks, even served search warrants at multiple locations. They also say these sorts of situations are difficult for officers.
Dobbins said, "The last thing we want to do is have to shoot somebody but in this case our hand was forced."
The man's identity has not been released. His girlfriend, who he was reportedly visiting, is being questioned.
crimetracker, officer involved shooting, shooting, fresno police department, local, stephanie stone
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Public tickets to the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl sold out
- Calif senator: Revenge porn law should include selfies
- Mega Million Winning Numbers
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Scams can include investments with friends
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Toys for Tots needs just over 10k gifts to meet goal
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in...
12 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos