Hidden camera captures SE Fresno thieves in action
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Authorities are asking for your help finding two criminals they say are stealing from an apartment complex in Southeast Fresno.
Police say the crooks are targeting the building's laundry rooms, and costing the owners lots of money.
The damaged tops of washers and dryers are costing thousands of dollars in repairs and a whole lot of trouble for those who live here.
Patrice Johnson said, "We just can't stop stealing. It's a crime, it's a theft. You have kids that have to go to school you have families they need to wash, they got to go to work and you are making it extra hard just to live."
Johnson, the manager at Villa Rosas Apartments says over the past year and a half crooks have targeted these grounds multiple times for the money in the coin boxes.
She says at one point only five out of 35 washers and dryers at the apartment complex worked, making it very frustrating for those who lived here.
Fresno police are hoping a hidden camera video will soon lead to an arrest. Investigators say at about 1:00 p.m. in the afternoon on December 2nd, a man wearing a sweatshirt with a hoodie walked into the laundry room with his hands in his pockets. He's followed closely by another man carrying a large black bag.
Over the next seven minutes, police say the first suspect broke open the coin boxes, out of the camera shot but notice the other man standing guard. It only took about seven minutes before they both left.
Sgt. Mark Hudson said, "It looks like they come in with a backpack and also a bigger bag, a duffel bag where they start pulling out items we believe was a crowbar where they start prying on the washing machine itself."
In the video, take another look at what happens right before they leave, we finally get a clear picture of one of them. This is the image Patrice Johnson is hoping will catch the criminals.
Johnson said, "We're going to get you, we are going to get to the bottom of it."
local, mariana jacob
- Truck driver dies after pinned while making delivery in Fresno 27 min ago
- Juvenile seriously injured in Planada shooting
- Lawsuit filed after arrest made in Elbow Room fight
- Helicopter crashes while warming citrus grove
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room
- Pulmonary Rehab: Healing with music
- Fresno State fans plan for the Royal Purple Vegas Bowl 14 min ago
- Derek Carr not on Heisman Trophy finalist list
- Surviving the mall's food court
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face US charges
- Selma High grad, Bobby Cox, elected to Hall of Fame
- 3 cars and FAX bus involved in crash
- Hanford man found dead inside a car in Armona