Merced murder suspect arrested in Oakland
MERCED, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Merced murder suspect is in jail after a nearly one year investigation.
Police tracked Charles Jones, 33, to Oakland, and officers arrested him there on Wednesday.
Jones is accused of killing Donald Risner Junior in January. A memorial remains at the site where the 42-year-old died near 18th and H Streets.
Investigators say Risner accused Jones of stealing his bicycle, and Jones shot him during the argument.
Police pieced together small tips to identify the suspect, and they believed, he was staying in the Bay Area. Then, Jones gave detectives a big break in the case last month.
Sgt. Scott Skinner said, "He had actually walked into Oakland Police Department to see if he had a warrant for his arrest. Before they could confirm who they had in there he took off running."
An officer spotted Jones leaving a home in Oakland Wednesday and arrested him. He's now being held in the Merced County jail on a $1 million bail.
crimetracker, murder, merced, merced county, oakland, bay area, local, sara sandrik
- Freeze affects Valley's $1.5 billion citrus industry
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno
- Truck driver pinned while making delivery in Fresno
- Helicopter crashes while warming citrus grove
- Selma High grad, Bobby Cox, elected to Hall of Fame
- 3 cars and FAX bus involved in crash
- Hanford man found dead inside a car in Armona
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Fresno man
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
- Valley farmers see minimal damage to citrus crops
- National memorial to be held for Nelson Mandela
- New Jersey restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Avatars helping athletes