Bringing holiday cheer to those facing challenges
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Dozens of children in Central Fresno got a chance to experience Christmas a little early this year. For some, this is a holiday they'll never forget.
About 80 children in Central Fresno got presents on Saturday and for many of them, this may be their favorite time of the year. "You get to spend time with your family and friends and you get lots of gifts and stuff," said Matthew Xiong.
"It makes me feel really happy. This is the first year ever where I have seen a smile on their face," said Ka Vang. She and other families who live in this public emergency housing building are facing the hardest times of their lives. But this year they're putting their struggles aside for the afternoon to enjoy the holidays.
"The need in our area is horrendous, we have about 65% of kids here living below the poverty level and this particular complex right here are kids who would have been homeless so they get no Christmas other than this, " said organizer, Karen Kroske.
Kroske is with the Fresno Police Activities League and has put on the celebration for 14 years.This year Santa's motorcade was led by police officers and American Ambulance.
Dozens of children unwrapped presents on Saturday because of the program. Every child made a wish list. Some asked for toys, but most just wanted clothes for the rest of the year.
local, mariana jacob
- Juvenile seriously injured in Planada shooting
- Lawsuit filed after arrest made in Elbow Room fight
- Helicopter crashes while warming citrus grove
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room
- Truck driver dies after pinned while making delivery in Fresno 18 min ago
- Pulmonary Rehab: Healing with music
- Derek Carr not on Heisman Trophy finalist list
- Surviving the mall's food court
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face US charges
- Selma High grad, Bobby Cox, elected to Hall of Fame
- 3 cars and FAX bus involved in crash
- Hanford man found dead inside a car in Armona
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Fresno man