Shoppers not deterred by rainy weather in Valley
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The rain hasn't stopped many Valley residents from doing some last minute Christmas shopping.
The parking lot was packed at Fashion Fair mall throughout the day. Most people Action News talked to say they're okay with getting a little wet because they waited till the last minute and now they're on the hunt for the perfect gift.
"It's Christmas so you got to do what you can to get that last minute gift," shopper John Sandate said.
Sandate and his mother joined thousands of people packing Fashion Fair mall, all willing to spend right before the holidays.
"Probably at least a couple of hundred dollars easy," Sandate said.
According to the latest Action News poll conducted by Survey USA about a third of shoppers plan to spend between $100 and $300 this year, about a quarter of those surveyed will spend $300 to $500 while 16 percent of consumers plan to spend $100 or less and experts say expect retailers to roll out some good deals this time of year.
"They'll put a sale on it. They know after Christmas bargain hunters are there so they might as well discount it now 25% now than 50% after Christmas," Fresno State marketing professor Dr. Bill Rice said.
"I got some great deals. I thought I was going to spend at least $350, $400," shopper Nick Mata said.
Despite the price cuts right before the holidays, most shoppers say the only downside to waiting till this weekend are the large crowds and the wet weather.
"The roads are real slippery and it's easy to get into an accident," shopper David Glover said.
According to that poll, about 80% of shoppers surveyed plan to buy specific gifts this year while about 15% plan to pick up gift cards.
holiday, christmas, fresno, fresno county, local, mariana jacob
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach
- Two dead after gunfire in the town of Lindcove
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Kingsburg water meters change watering habits 37 min ago
- Former Bell city manager gets 12 years in prison
- 4 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on 'The View'
- Strahan's 'GMA' side job confirmed with his visit
- Ultimate Warrior cause of death revealed
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Boston police safely blow up suspicious backpacks
- Job seekers interview for the world's...