Fresno family looking for answers after murder
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A family's painful plea to find justice for a young father killed in a double homicide.
Relatives are begging for answers two years to the day 25-year-old Icen Gumbs, Jr. was shot and killed in a Southeast Fresno apartment.
The Gumbs family is hoping their celebration of Icen's life will push someone to step forward and help bring a murderer to justice.
A row of pictures serve as glimpses into a short-lived life. Icen Gumbs, Sr. set up the memorial Saturday to remember his oldest son.
"We believe that Icen is in heaven with God. So we're comforted with that. And we would rather he be here in the flesh with us, my son who I love so dearly," Gumbs said.
Icen Gumbs, Jr. was gunned down inside an apartment. Fresno police also found the body of a man named James Brown inside with Icen.
The two died just three days before Christmas two years ago. At the time, police were still uncertain if the killings were gang or tagging crew-related.
The family says for Icen it was just the wrong place at the wrong time.
His father, a soldier, and his brother, an airman, both came to Fresno from out of town to be here with their family and to ask for Icen's killer to be brought to justice.
"I had no worries with my brother being here. That's my big brother. He protected me, my older sister, my mother. That whole shield of protection is gone with him being gone," the victim's brother, Aji Gumbs, said.
"I still feel the need to protect Icen, even in his death. So that's the motivation for this, is to bring this person to justice. They must come to justice, they must answer for it," Icen, Sr. said.
The family lit lanterns and set them off with a prayer to remember Icen, a young father, with a budding carpentry business.
The family says they know Icen wasn't perfect but he didn't deserve to be killed.
Icen, Jr. left behind four young kids.
Anyone with information about his death is urged to call the Fresno Police Department.
fresno, fresno county, crimetracker, homicide, local, rick montanez
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- New Target store opens in Northwest Fresno 37 min ago
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Lions owner William Clay Ford dies at 88 44 min ago
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- 3D printer and Twitter used to make Oreo cookies