Fresno police handing out safety report cards
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Don't be surprised if you get a report card this holiday season. Fresno Police officers are handing them out but these have nothing to do with grades.
It's called "Lock it, remove it or lose it".
Police are going to shopping centers looking for potential victims.
There's a good chance that if you leave your stuff in your car in plain view, you'll get one of those report cards.
"Good job, for doing a good job, you've reduced the opportunity of you being a victim of a crime and if they've found a vehicle where property is out, or vehicle left unlocked then citation will indicate that," Lt. Jon Papaleo of the Fresno Police Department said.
Police say this sort of operation has worked well in larger cities and they're hoping it works here too.
One woman told Action News she couldn't be happier with the police presence.
"At first I thought 'what's he doing at my car?' but after I inquired he was out for our protection to cover up stuff and prevent theft in our cars, now I see what he's doing I really appreciate the Fresno Police looking out for us as citizens," Yvonne Simmons said.
Police also say even if you don't get one of those report cards it's a reminder not to leave anything in your car. Don't even attempt to hide it because thieves will find it.
fresno, fresno county, crimetracker, local, stephanie stone
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- Near drownings on the rise
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- AP: FBI investigates prison company
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved...
6 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos