Fresno police handing out safety report cards
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Don't be surprised if you get a report card this holiday season. Fresno Police officers are handing them out but these have nothing to do with grades.
It's called "Lock it, remove it or lose it".
Police are going to shopping centers looking for potential victims.
There's a good chance that if you leave your stuff in your car in plain view, you'll get one of those report cards.
"Good job, for doing a good job, you've reduced the opportunity of you being a victim of a crime and if they've found a vehicle where property is out, or vehicle left unlocked then citation will indicate that," Lt. Jon Papaleo of the Fresno Police Department said.
Police say this sort of operation has worked well in larger cities and they're hoping it works here too.
One woman told Action News she couldn't be happier with the police presence.
"At first I thought 'what's he doing at my car?' but after I inquired he was out for our protection to cover up stuff and prevent theft in our cars, now I see what he's doing I really appreciate the Fresno Police looking out for us as citizens," Yvonne Simmons said.
Police also say even if you don't get one of those report cards it's a reminder not to leave anything in your car. Don't even attempt to hide it because thieves will find it.
fresno, fresno county, crimetracker, local, stephanie stone
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes 80 percent contained 4 min ago
- La Tapatia fire prompts two business to evacuate in Fresno 34 min ago
- Fresno Police open fire on suspect after bike chase
- Hundreds of UC Merced students receive their degrees
- Firebaugh man kills home invasion suspect with a sword
- Investigators look into Merced house fire
- California Classic Weekend half marathon
- Visalia PD cracks down on underage drinking
- Welty's final commencement at Fresno State
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- Get the Winning Numbers for Powerball!
- Tornado-ravaged Texas town to start recovery
- Castaic-area brush fire fully contained
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Accuweather Forecast
22 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos