Police: Fresno carjacking suspect in hospital after chase
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno police are investigating a high-speed chase that started with an armed carjacking.
It began at a market in the area of Blackstone and Illinois. The chase ended with a crash near First and Illinois.
Police have now identified the suspect as 29-year-old Isaac Sanders from Fresno.
He is now in serious condition at Community Regional Medical Center but when he is released he will be booked here at the Fresno County Jail.
The stolen car crashed into a tree in Central Fresno near First and Illinois. And this is where Fresno police say the carjacking began.
Police say a gunman stole it from a woman here at the community market about a mile away.
"This suspect has no regard for people, he victimized a woman, took her vehicle," Lt. David Newton of the Fresno Police Dept. said.
Fresno police have identified the gunman as 29-year-old Isaac Sanders from Fresno.
Investigators say he fired a shot before stealing the car and speeding off.
Detectives found the car within seconds and called a number of patrol cars and a helicopter for back-up.
"One officer was involved in a non-injury collision with a citizen while trying to get over here, fortunately no one was hurt in that incident," Newton said.
Newton says at one point the Sanders was driving on the wrong side of the street. He eventually spun out while trying to avoid crashing into someone but instead smashed into a tree.
"Unfortunately that vehicle is totaled, she won't get it back . I don't know if she is insured or not. It was a very violent crime tonight," Newton said.
Those who live in the neighborhood and didn't want to be identified say they're angry and scared.
Detectives say Sanders is in custody on a variety of charges including assault with a deadly weapon and carjacking.
They say he is also in violation of his probation.
fresno, fresno central, fresno county, carjacking, theft, crimetracker, local, mariana jacob
- Final Crimea count: 97 percent back Russia
- Merced PD looks for witnesses to deadly shooting
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- LA police say no leads in abduction of 4 kids
- Ukrainians in Fresno react to Crimea vote
- Child may be to blame for Fresno garage fire
- Crash sends Fresno police car into canal
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- Merced police seek help to catch armed robber
- Magnitude-6.7 quake hits Chile's northern coast
- Consumer Reports: Skip extended car warranties
- Diamond 'Dogs swept by New Mexico
- 'Dogs women's, men's hoops set for postseason
- Oprah Winfrey to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago