Police: Fresno carjacking suspect in hospital after chase
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno police are investigating a high-speed chase that started with an armed carjacking.
It began at a market in the area of Blackstone and Illinois. The chase ended with a crash near First and Illinois.
Police have now identified the suspect as 29-year-old Isaac Sanders from Fresno.
He is now in serious condition at Community Regional Medical Center but when he is released he will be booked here at the Fresno County Jail.
The stolen car crashed into a tree in Central Fresno near First and Illinois. And this is where Fresno police say the carjacking began.
Police say a gunman stole it from a woman here at the community market about a mile away.
"This suspect has no regard for people, he victimized a woman, took her vehicle," Lt. David Newton of the Fresno Police Dept. said.
Fresno police have identified the gunman as 29-year-old Isaac Sanders from Fresno.
Investigators say he fired a shot before stealing the car and speeding off.
Detectives found the car within seconds and called a number of patrol cars and a helicopter for back-up.
"One officer was involved in a non-injury collision with a citizen while trying to get over here, fortunately no one was hurt in that incident," Newton said.
Newton says at one point the Sanders was driving on the wrong side of the street. He eventually spun out while trying to avoid crashing into someone but instead smashed into a tree.
"Unfortunately that vehicle is totaled, she won't get it back . I don't know if she is insured or not. It was a very violent crime tonight," Newton said.
Those who live in the neighborhood and didn't want to be identified say they're angry and scared.
Detectives say Sanders is in custody on a variety of charges including assault with a deadly weapon and carjacking.
They say he is also in violation of his probation.
fresno, fresno central, fresno county, carjacking, theft, crimetracker, local, mariana jacob
- Marathon tragedy inspires woman to help save lives
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno apartment
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate SoCal hospital attacks
- Sikh community celebrates Vaisakhi in Caruthers
- Grim work for families as more bodies discovered
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al-Qaida training camps
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- 7,000 Easter eggs rain down from helicopter
- Health Watch: 5 clues to Alzheimer's
- Consumer Reports evaluates top toilet papers
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Prizefighter Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76