Madera Police investigate first homicide of the year
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Police are now investigating the first murder of the year that left a Madera man dead. They say it happened in the early morning hours in a neighborhood near Millview and Clinton.
Police say the Victim, 35-year-old Gerald Warren was taken to Madera Community Hospital where he died of his wounds. Investigators say the shooting happened just before 2 a.m. Tuesday. Family members are now hoping any information will help police find who's responsible.
A small rosary and a memorial with candles stayed lit in the hours after Madera's first murder of 2013. On Tuesday morning police markings mapped the area where the crime took place. People who live nearby didn't want to appear on camera, but they said the murder happened on the curb outside of the house.
Investigators say the victim is 35-year-old Gerald Warren. Family members called him "Buddy" and said he leaves behind five children. They said he was out at a bar on Yosemite Avenue earlier that evening. The party then spilled into a cul-de-sac and officers believe Warren was killed at close range.
Neighbors said they heard the gunfire. "Four or five like somebody had an automatic gun," said one witness.
One woman says she heard the shooting and ran into her bathroom to hide with her grand kids until police arrived. Neighbors say they're worried about the murder so close to home.
Police say they often respond to this area for gang and drug related activity. They are now looking for the shooter.
If you have any information regarding this shooting, you are urged to call the Madera Police Department at (559) 675-4200.
madera, madera county, shooting, homicide, crimetracker, local, mariana jacob
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos