Los Angeles Galaxy gives lessons to local kids
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Some local youth kickers had the chance to test their footwork against some of soccer's best this week.
There's nothing like chasing around a soccer ball during a chilly morning to get the blood flowing. But some extra motivation kicked in for these local soccer campers when members of the LA Galaxy showed up to teach them the nuances of the game
Kevin Eagleston, a former pro himself, now makes his living helping to improve youngster's footwork as the LA Galaxy's youth director.
The Galaxy is already familiar with the Valley. The club has held several clinics in Visalia over the past few years. So when soccer organization, Clovis Crossfire heard the Galaxy had interest in coming a little further north, they jumped at the chance.
Members of the Galaxy spent the past two days at Jefferson Elementary in Clovis not only teaching skills, but explaining to campers how they can take what they learn from the pitch to help further their future education as well.
Eagleston said, "Galaxy is not only here to push the pro side, it's also to let these kids know that like myself I wasn't the smartest cat in the world but I could knock the ball around and earned a full ride scholarship. There is this opportunity here in the United States for them too."
clovis, fresno, fresno county, local, jason oliveira
- Fresno State defeats Utah State 24-17
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Huron man
- Highway 41 closed near Tenaya Lodge
- Train hits pedestrian and dog in Central Fresno
- Video: Mountain communities wake up to snow
- Nelson Mandela family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Reindeer escapes from Santa at Colorado mall
- Toys for Tots marathon kicks off at River Park
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary
- One injured in Central Fresno drive-by shooting
- Animal shelter seeks donations to keep dogs warm
- Freezing temperatures take toll on small Valley farms
- Police increase patrols on Fulton Mall after shooting
- Valley utility workers gear up for freezing weather