Helicopter pilot killed in Delano crash ID'd
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Investigators have identified a pilot who died in a helicopter crash in Delano.
Karen Johnson was flying the aircraft early Wednesday morning to help keep crops from freezing -- when the helicopter disappeared from radar.
About four hours later, an air unit with the Kern County Sheriff's Department located the wreckage in a vineyard.
Investigators say the search was difficult because of thick fog and limited visibility at the time.
A spokesperson with the Federal Aviation Administration said Johnson was returning to the Delano airport when her chopper went down.
During cold spells, helicopters move warmer air down onto threatened crops.
The National Transportation Safety Board and the Federal Aviation Administration are investigating the cause of the crash.
plane crash, delano, kern county, local
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight 46 min ago
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno apartment
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate SoCal hospital attacks 38 min ago
- Sikh community celebrates Vaisakhi in Caruthers
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Grim work for families as more bodies discovered 33 min ago
- 7,000 Easter eggs rain down from helicopter
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al-Qaida training camps
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help
- Prizefighter Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Health Watch: 5 clues to Alzheimer's 53 min ago