Helicopter pilot killed in Delano crash ID'd
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Investigators have identified a pilot who died in a helicopter crash in Delano.
Karen Johnson was flying the aircraft early Wednesday morning to help keep crops from freezing -- when the helicopter disappeared from radar.
About four hours later, an air unit with the Kern County Sheriff's Department located the wreckage in a vineyard.
Investigators say the search was difficult because of thick fog and limited visibility at the time.
A spokesperson with the Federal Aviation Administration said Johnson was returning to the Delano airport when her chopper went down.
During cold spells, helicopters move warmer air down onto threatened crops.
The National Transportation Safety Board and the Federal Aviation Administration are investigating the cause of the crash.
plane crash, delano, kern county, local
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- Arrest made in Tulare County officer-involved shooting
- Surveillance video released in Hanford murder
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF
- Mariposa is putting limits on marijuana grows
- Noticeable drop in Valley flu cases
- New painkiller 10 times stronger than Vicodin
- Athletes embracing "extreme" exercise trends
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Tiger Cubs make big debut at Fresno Chaffee Zoo
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy