Helicopter pilot killed in Delano crash ID'd
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Investigators have identified a pilot who died in a helicopter crash in Delano.
Karen Johnson was flying the aircraft early Wednesday morning to help keep crops from freezing -- when the helicopter disappeared from radar.
About four hours later, an air unit with the Kern County Sheriff's Department located the wreckage in a vineyard.
Investigators say the search was difficult because of thick fog and limited visibility at the time.
A spokesperson with the Federal Aviation Administration said Johnson was returning to the Delano airport when her chopper went down.
During cold spells, helicopters move warmer air down onto threatened crops.
The National Transportation Safety Board and the Federal Aviation Administration are investigating the cause of the crash.
plane crash, delano, kern county, local
- Ryan Rodriquez kidnapping suspect descriptions released
- Marathoner Fresno police officer outruns serial burglar 3 min ago
- Gang member arrested after ABC30 story comment
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Chief Dyer testifies in excessive force trial
- Police say internet cafe doubled as gambling house
- Son sought in beating of parents in Fresno
- Silent Sleigh and Mandela Controversy
- '12 Years,' 'Hustle' lead Globes nominations
- US unemployment aid applications surge to 368,000
- Merced Co. District Attorney Warns of IRS Phone Scam
- Walking Dead actress admits sending ricin to Obama
- Grieving Merced husband and father talks to ABC30
- 3 rescued from Fresno apartment fire