Helicopter pilot killed in Delano crash ID'd
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Investigators have identified a pilot who died in a helicopter crash in Delano.
Karen Johnson was flying the aircraft early Wednesday morning to help keep crops from freezing -- when the helicopter disappeared from radar.
About four hours later, an air unit with the Kern County Sheriff's Department located the wreckage in a vineyard.
Investigators say the search was difficult because of thick fog and limited visibility at the time.
A spokesperson with the Federal Aviation Administration said Johnson was returning to the Delano airport when her chopper went down.
During cold spells, helicopters move warmer air down onto threatened crops.
The National Transportation Safety Board and the Federal Aviation Administration are investigating the cause of the crash.
plane crash, delano, kern county, local
- Pedestrian killed in Highway 99 hit and run crash
- Massage parlor shutdown after tips of prostitution
- Trial wrapping up for ex-Clovis cop Kyle Pennington
- Man killed in rollover crash near Selma
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- Tentative order in fight over Fresno water rate hikes
- HS rumor played role in Dinuba sexual battery case
- Fresno man gets prison in fatal hit-and-run crash
- New Adopt-a-Tree Program at Two Sisters U-Pick Apricots
- New effort to honor Hmong veterans
- Counting down to the Clovis Rodeo
- Fresno Co won't change Williamson Act tax standards
- Firefighters preparing for fire season at Lost Lake Park
- Suspect injures Fresno Police dog, officers say