Mother and son dead in Madera Co crash
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A North Valley mother and her young son are dead after a fog-related crash in Madera County.
Dangerously dense fog made it difficult to see the aftermath of the deadly crash on Highway 152 near Chowchilla. The CHP says a woman in her thirties was driving a Saturn sedan with her two young sons on board when she tried to cross the highway at Road 17 1/2.
"The 4 door Saturn crossed state route 152 and may not have seen the eastbound vehicle approaching, and the eastbound vehicle broadsided the Saturn," Sgt. Michael Donnelly of the CHP said.
The mother and her four-year-old son died at the scene. Her ten-year-old son was taken to a local hospital with minor injuries. The woman in her twenties who was driving the Toyota suffered moderate injuries. Donnelly says accidents like this one are especially difficult for the first responders.
"When officers respond on scene in the fog conditions, it's a challenge and then to arrive on scene where there are young children involved, who are injured is stressful for officers. The first officer on scene provided first aid to both children, and did best he could to help provide assistance for them," Donnelly said.
Elaine Moore lives near the crash site and says she's seen too many tragedies like this one...
"It makes me heart sick because 3 or 4 different people have lost family members all within the 99 - 152 corridor here, and then Road 16 seems to be a big accident area," Moore said.
The 22-year-old woman driving the Toyota has now been identified as Mariah Roby. She was also taken to a hospital with moderate injuries. The names of the family members in the Saturn have not yet been released. Investigators say all of the victims are from Chowchilla.
CHP officers want to remind all drivers to slow down, turn off the radio, and roll down the windows before crossing intersections in the fog.
madera county, chowchilla, accident, local, sara sandrik
- 2 arrested on sex trafficking charges 7 min ago
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95
- Fresno burglary suspect arrested in Central Fresno
- One person shot near the ice rink at the Fulton Mall
- Small Hmong farms losing crops to bitter cold
- US unemployment falls from 7.3 to 7 percent
- Two of three missing Dinuba children found safe
- Closing arguments in murder trial against paralegal
- Candlelight Christmas Tractor Parade and Wine Stroll
- Effort to complete Herndon bike trail underway
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Wanted Fresno burglar caught on camera
- Body of missing Delano woman found in canal
- Fire Safety