Mother and son dead in Madera Co crash
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A North Valley mother and her young son are dead after a fog-related crash in Madera County.
Dangerously dense fog made it difficult to see the aftermath of the deadly crash on Highway 152 near Chowchilla. The CHP says a woman in her thirties was driving a Saturn sedan with her two young sons on board when she tried to cross the highway at Road 17 1/2.
"The 4 door Saturn crossed state route 152 and may not have seen the eastbound vehicle approaching, and the eastbound vehicle broadsided the Saturn," Sgt. Michael Donnelly of the CHP said.
The mother and her four-year-old son died at the scene. Her ten-year-old son was taken to a local hospital with minor injuries. The woman in her twenties who was driving the Toyota suffered moderate injuries. Donnelly says accidents like this one are especially difficult for the first responders.
"When officers respond on scene in the fog conditions, it's a challenge and then to arrive on scene where there are young children involved, who are injured is stressful for officers. The first officer on scene provided first aid to both children, and did best he could to help provide assistance for them," Donnelly said.
Elaine Moore lives near the crash site and says she's seen too many tragedies like this one...
"It makes me heart sick because 3 or 4 different people have lost family members all within the 99 - 152 corridor here, and then Road 16 seems to be a big accident area," Moore said.
The 22-year-old woman driving the Toyota has now been identified as Mariah Roby. She was also taken to a hospital with moderate injuries. The names of the family members in the Saturn have not yet been released. Investigators say all of the victims are from Chowchilla.
CHP officers want to remind all drivers to slow down, turn off the radio, and roll down the windows before crossing intersections in the fog.
madera county, chowchilla, accident, local, sara sandrik
- Authorities investigate a shooting in Madera County 2 min ago
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Cornell president named new head of Smithsonian 14 min ago
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash
- Man holds out atop roof of San Diego FBI building
- Toddler uses FaceTime to help mom after dog bite
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls