Deputy constable opens fire on chase suspect in SE Harris County
HOUSTON -- An armed man on the run with a 14-year-old girl in his vehicle led authorities on a wild chase in southeast Harris County overnight, but he was stopped after officials opened fire on his vehicle.
Only the suspect was wounded in the chaos which started in Deer Park, where the man apparently had warrants out for his arrest.
The suspect ended up at the hospital after running from Deer Park police. The chased moved into Houston and involved a handful of law enforcement agencies as it came to an end around Beltway 8 and Blackhawk.
What ended in gunfire began as an attempted traffic stop by police in Deer Park. When the driver wouldn't stop, police followed him into Houston where officers believed he was aiming a weapon at them out the window as they chased them.
There was also a young teenage girl in the vehicle with the suspect.
A Precinct 7 deputy constable was waiting for the driver as he approached the intersection of Blackhawk and Beltway 8 South.
"The suspect swerved into the lane the officer was standing in, and then seconds later swerved away, but at that point in time, due to the aggressive driving of the suspect, and the report that he was armed and pointing at officers, this deputy, in fear of his life, discharged his duty rifle several times, striking the vehicle," explained HPD spokesperson Kese Smith.
The driver kept going but eventually stopped about a half mile south on Blackhawk. Officials say the suspect tried to get out of the car and run but was captured by Deer Park police officers. As for the teen, she's a witness, and HPD says she'll be treated as such.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Droid and Blackberry devices
local, elissa rivas
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn 11 min ago
- Perez and Barrera found guilty of 1st degree murder
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Photos: Easter traditions explained
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- Twin boys fight off carjacker in Texas
- Michaels Crafts data breach, nearly 3M compromised
- 'Family Annihilator' fugitive could be in California
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign
- Visalia approves limiting residents' water use
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested
- Gas prices rise as temperatures heat up