Disabled vet rescued from burning apartment
HOUSTON -- A veteran and a pizza delivery driver rushed into a burning Houston apartment to save a trapped man early Saturday.
It happened just before 9pm at the Midtown Terrace Suites on Blodgett. Investigators said the old hotel has been converted to an apartment complex and caters to local veterans.
A caretaker said the victim -- a veteran in a wheelchair -- was fine around 7:30pm when she left to go home. Officials said he later put something in the toaster and fell asleep. The fire started and the man became trapped.
A neighbor -- also a veteran -- grabbed another tenant and a pizza delivery driver and rescued the victim, whose wheelchair got jammed between the furniture.
Authorities told us the victim had burns on his back, arms and legs.
At last check, he was listed in critical condition.
The fire was contained to just two apartments in the building. There were no other reports of injuries.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Vigil held for slain Parlier football coach
- 8 kids, 4 adults involved in SW Fresno crash
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer
- Suspected gang members arrested in Winton murder
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Visalia man accused of sexual conduct with boy
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- States sue over California's egg laws
- Visalia school unveils new solar structures
- Sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- 7 health apps you need to know about