Police officer shoots, kills suspect in Southeast Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A 35-year-old man is dead after an officer-involved shooting. It happened near Kings Canyon and Sunnyside, in the back of an apartment complex.
19-year-old Nicole agreed to tell us her story. The eye witness was babysitting her sister when she heard loud noises. "That's when I seen the guy on the ground on the side and he was reaching for something and the officer said don't reach for it he had to tell him twice then he still wasn't responding so the officer tazed him three times."
Police told Action News, one of their officers approached the 35-year-old as he was walking near Kings Canyon and Phillip Avenue.
The man told the officer he was on parole, and then started running. It turned into a fight, right in front of Nicole's window.
Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said, "There was a knife that the suspect had possessed at some point the officer felt his life was in danger and fired his department handgun at the suspect."
The man was rushed to the hospital, where he later died. Nicole tells us, she shielded her sister from the violence and tried not to be scared. "I don't understand why he wasn't listening, I would have been stopped wouldn't have wanted to get chased or nothing like that he was being hot headed and wasn't listening."
Police say the man is a known gang member with a violent, and extensive criminal history. They also say, he may have been carrying stolen property.
As for Nicole, she told us she gave an official statement, and is working with investigators. "Police officers do what they have to do to help the community and protect us, you know."
Sheriff's Investigators are handling this case. The officer has been on the job for more than five years, and is on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.
fresno, fresno county, fresno southeast, officer involved shooting, local, stephanie stone
- Fresno State defeats Utah State 24-17
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Huron man
- Highway 41 closed near Tenaya Lodge
- Train hits pedestrian and dog in Central Fresno
- Video: Mountain communities wake up to snow
- Nelson Mandela family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Reindeer escapes from Santa at Colorado mall
- Toys for Tots marathon kicks off at River Park
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary
- One injured in Central Fresno drive-by shooting
- Animal shelter seeks donations to keep dogs warm
- Freezing temperatures take toll on small Valley farms
- Police increase patrols on Fulton Mall after shooting
- Valley utility workers gear up for freezing weather