Helicopter crash in Fresno Co; pilot alive
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The pilot of a crop-dusting helicopter that crashed in Fresno County is recovering in a local hospital.
The chopper went down in a field near Highway 41 and Harlan around 1:00 Tuesday afternoon.
The spray of a fire extinguisher engulfed the downed helicopter with its pilot still trapped inside. More than a dozen firefighters responded to the crash site, only a few approached the chopper, which they knew was loaded with herbicide.
Capt. Ryan Michaels said, "We know we got a report it was possible up to 5 chemicals involved and we weren't sure if they had leaked or ruptured. Anytime you hear an aircraft down, you realize there may be a significant impact."
Firefighters eventually realized only a small amount of the herbicide leaked out of the helicopter when it hit the ground. But the pilot also couldn't break free.
An hour after the crash, firefighters got him out. They sprayed him down to make sure he was decontaminated, then got him right onto the next helicopter flight, this one an air ambulance destined for a hospital.
fresno county, plane crash, riverdale, laton, local, corin hoggard
- Authorities probe murder outside Merced apartment
- Teenage boy shot and killed in Tulare
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Visalia man accused of sexually exploiting boy
- Amber Alert issued for 4 LA-area children
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Fresno State women win Mountain West title
- Car wash held to help family of murdered coach
- Visalia shooting sends man to hospital
- Man arrested after Hanford drug and weapons bust
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Mendota PD seeks arsonist after patrol car torched
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Photos of David Brenner through the years