Madera pharmacy owner shoots, kills suspect
MADERA, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Madera Police Department is investigating a shooting at the Almond Avenue Pharmacy that happened Tuesday night. Investigators were called to the pharmacy around 6:30 p.m. for an attempted robbery and when they got there they discovered there had also been a shooting.
Police say that two suspects entered the pharmacy from the back door. Investigators say at least one of the suspects started shooting.
The owner of the pharmacy and his mother were inside the business at the time. The owner's mother was shot in the leg. She was taken to the hospital but is expected to be okay.
The pharmacy owner returned fire on the suspects, killing one of them. The other suspect got away.
At this point, investigators believe the pharmacy owner acted in self-defense.
A motive is also unclear. Though it was originally reported as an armed robbery, police said because the suspects simply walked in and started shooting, their intentions are unknown.
crimetracker, shooting, robbery, madera, madera county, local, amanda perez
- Fresno police target gangs in new operation
- $20 thousand reward for missing Fresno man
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled
- Ex-Fresno paralegal found guilty of murder
- Uruguay legalizes sale, production of marijuana
- Warming tent setup for homeless in Merced County
- Debate on Fresno's water rate hike gets heated
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
- Lemoore Naval Air Station pilots return home
- Fatal Planada shooting alarmingly similar to another
- Sonic apologizes for racist sign
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Lawsuit filed after arrest made in Elbow Room fight
- 6 missing people found alive in northern Nevada
- Accuweather Forecast
14 min ago