Fresno Chaffee Zoo receives new X-ray equipment
FRESNO, Calif. -- Measure Z provides new X-ray equipment for Fresno Chaffee Zoo.
The new X-ray machine at Fresno Chaffee Zoo is taking animal care to the next level.
Fresno Chaffee Zoo Veterinarian Dr. Lewis Wright said the new X-ray technology gives him a better understanding of what a patient, big or small, is going through.
"The plate sends information back to the reader and it's all wireless so there are no connections. You can get your images instantly," Wright said.
Wright said the old machine took much longer to process images and animals didn't necessarily make good patients.
"They will sit against the plate and you can take pictures of the orangutans, without having to do anesthesia," Wright said.
There have been several new additions to the zoo. A tiny baby blue duiker was a new sight for visitors.
Fresno Chaffee Zoo Marketing Director Terri Mejorado said the duiker was born about a month ago. Mejorado hadn't seen her for a couple of weeks.
"It looked like she had doubled in size since she was first born," Mejorado said. "It's always very exciting here at the zoo when we have a newborn."
The zoo also had a new baby kangaroo bouncing around the enclosure as well.
"We are also expecting a baby giraffe later this year," Mejorado said.
fresno, fresno county, chaffee zoo, local, amanda venegas
- 2 arrested on sex trafficking charges
- Police block Mexico hospital, 6 may have radiation 9 min ago
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95 38 min ago
- Fresno burglary suspect arrested in Central Fresno
- 3 arrested for mail theft in Madera 55 min ago
- One person shot near the ice rink at the Fulton Mall
- Small Hmong farms losing crops to bitter cold
- US unemployment falls from 7.3 to 7 percent
- Two of three missing Dinuba children found safe
- Closing arguments in murder trial against paralegal
- Candlelight Christmas Tractor Parade and Wine Stroll
- Effort to complete Herndon bike trail underway
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Fire Safety