Homicide detectives probing baby's death in north Houston
HOUSTON -- A Houston father is under arrest after police discovered his child dead in north Houston on Thursday.
It happened around midday at an apartment complex in the 16000 block of City View Place, and the HPD crime scene unit spent the rest of the day scouring the scene for evidence.
Police were dispatched to the complex around 1:30pm after they received a call from someone claiming there was a child in cardiac arrest.
Police say it looked as if the two-year-old boy, who's been identified as Jashaun Davis, had been badly beaten.
According to an officer on scene, the toddler's father, Tyrone Jefferson, was questioned by detectives and told he them his son became unresponsive after a spanking. According to court documents, the toddler's head was struck against a wall. He was pronounced dead shortly after arrival at a nearby hospital.
Police say the mother was at work when the incident happened. She seemed completely devastated when she spoke with us Friday.
"I was gonna tell him to leave that same day. It was too late. I love that boy more than life itself," the boy's mother, Angela Davis, said.
Jefferson, 24, was later charged with capital murder.
Meanwhile, neighbors are still trying to figure out what happened.
"He looked innocent, like he wouldn't do something like this, but you know never know what's in people's mind," neighbor Evelyn Cloud said.
If you would like to help the family with funeral costs, please make a donation at any Bank of America location to the "Jashaun A Davis Memorial Fund."
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- One person dead in Northwest Fresno accident
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege 24 min ago
- AP: FBI investigates prison company
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Girl Scout Cookie dessert recipes
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Unemployment rises to 6.7 percent in February
- Fresno County veteran receives national award
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts
- Con man steals millions from elderly
- Man sentenced in fatal Los Banos DUI crash
- Photos: 16th-century 'rocket cat' weaponry pictures
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law