Madera pharmacy shooting suspect has day in court
MADERA, Calif. (KFSN) -- One of the suspects in a deadly Madera pharmacy shooting is now charged with six felony counts, including murder.
Jonte Harris made his first court appearance Friday. The judge asked us not to show Harris' face. The 27-year-old is accused of barging into the Almond Avenue Pharmacy Tuesday night with 31-year-old Aquilla Bailey.
Investigators say Bailey immediately started shooting, hitting the store owner's mother in the leg. The owner fired back, killing Bailey, and injuring Harris. Prosecutors have chosen to charge Harris with the death of his alleged accomplice.
Madera County District attorney Michael Keitz said, "The law says when someone does some action that is provocative during the course of an inherently dangerous felony and a person dies as a result of that then the person who made the provocative acts can be held criminally liable for the death of that individual."
A public defender entered not guilty pleas to most of the charges against Harris. But he entered a demurrer for the murder charge, which allows more time to research the case.
Harris' bail is set at $3 million.
madera county, madera, crimetracker, shooting, robbery, local, sara sandrik
- Pedestrian killed in Highway 99 hit and run crash 54 min ago
- Massage parlor shutdown after tips of prostitution
- Trial wrapping up for ex-Clovis cop Kyle Pennington
- Man killed in rollover crash near Selma
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- Tentative order in fight over Fresno water rate hikes
- HS rumor played role in Dinuba sexual battery case
- Fresno man gets prison in fatal hit-and-run crash
- New Adopt-a-Tree Program at Two Sisters U-Pick Apricots
- New effort to honor Hmong veterans
- Counting down to the Clovis Rodeo
- Fresno Co won't change Williamson Act tax standards
- Firefighters preparing for fire season at Lost Lake Park
- Suspect injures Fresno Police dog, officers say
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos