Thieves steal $75,000 worth of donations from church ministry
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Oscar Sanchez said thieves hit his ministry Monday morning and made off with thousands worth of supplies for migrant children.
Monday morning, staff members found their storage trailer open with its lock cut, tire tracks and almost all of their supplies gone.
Their storage trailer was tucked away behind the California Southern Baptist convention headquarters in Northeast Fresno.
"Do something like this and steal from people that really need, which is the migrant workers. Some of the poorest people in our state," Sanchez said.
Ironically one thing the crooks didn't take was boxes of bibles.
Volunteers had filled the unit from top to bottom with about $75,000 worth of clothes to hand out to elementary students across the San Joaquin valley as part of their ministry.
"It's sad because the kids always look forward to these supplies every year, receiving these news supplies, they know who we are, what we're about are and to think this now puts the whole project in jeopardy," Sanchez said.
Although the ministry has been devastated, Sanchez said they have a higher power on their side.
Because of the theft, church leadership says they're now increasing security, adding extra locks and looking at other ways to protect their donations. They're hoping and praying they can find a way to once again to fill up this storage unit so they can help families this summer.
Funds can be mailed to CSBC, 678 e. Shaw Ave., Fresno 93710.
For more information, call (559) 229-9533.
charity, fresno, fresno county, robbery, local, amanda venegas
- The Red Wave hits the road
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Police search for suspects who shot a Fresno teacher
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Fire burns Three Rivers landmark
- Valley stores open extra hour for holiday rush
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- 2-year-old shot in the thigh in Atwater
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- NorCal teen brain-dead after tonsil surgery
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos