Thieves steal $75,000 worth of donations from church ministry
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Oscar Sanchez said thieves hit his ministry Monday morning and made off with thousands worth of supplies for migrant children.
Monday morning, staff members found their storage trailer open with its lock cut, tire tracks and almost all of their supplies gone.
Their storage trailer was tucked away behind the California Southern Baptist convention headquarters in Northeast Fresno.
"Do something like this and steal from people that really need, which is the migrant workers. Some of the poorest people in our state," Sanchez said.
Ironically one thing the crooks didn't take was boxes of bibles.
Volunteers had filled the unit from top to bottom with about $75,000 worth of clothes to hand out to elementary students across the San Joaquin valley as part of their ministry.
"It's sad because the kids always look forward to these supplies every year, receiving these news supplies, they know who we are, what we're about are and to think this now puts the whole project in jeopardy," Sanchez said.
Although the ministry has been devastated, Sanchez said they have a higher power on their side.
Because of the theft, church leadership says they're now increasing security, adding extra locks and looking at other ways to protect their donations. They're hoping and praying they can find a way to once again to fill up this storage unit so they can help families this summer.
Funds can be mailed to CSBC, 678 e. Shaw Ave., Fresno 93710.
For more information, call (559) 229-9533.
charity, fresno, fresno county, robbery, local, amanda venegas
- Authorities probe murder outside Merced apartment
- Teenage boy shot and killed in Tulare
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Visalia man accused of sexually exploiting boy
- Amber Alert issued for 4 LA-area children
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Fresno State women win Mountain West title
- Car wash held to help family of murdered coach
- Visalia shooting sends man to hospital
- Man arrested after Hanford drug and weapons bust
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Mendota PD seeks arsonist after patrol car torched
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Photos of David Brenner through the years