Copper wire thieves take the crime to a new level
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- In the Fresno Caltrans District, copper wire theives are striking three to five times a week -- affecting freeway signs, landscaping, traffic lights, and your general safety on the road.
Jose Camarena took Action News to the latest theft, off Belmont and Fresno Street. When thieves cut and removed the wires, it cut power to the street lamps overlooking Northbound 41, which leaves portions of the freeway in the dark.
"Whenever folks are pulled over to the side of the road, now they're in the dark instead of being under the light, it's a bit uncomfortable when you're waiting for the tow truck or some help," said Camarena.
Drivers will also notice, the meters aren't working like they should. Thieves knocked out the power to a number of on-ramp lights -- stripping the wire, and adding to the traffic congestion, as well as adding extra work for Caltrans.
"This pulls personnel and materials away from our primary responsibilities of potholes, fixing guard railing, fixing landscaping and fencing," said Camarena. He also says it's been costly; the department has vested more than 200 personnel hours to repair the problems and replace the wires at one location.
For those who spend a good chunk of their week on the road, the thefts are noticeable, and a little scary for people like commuter Brendan Wilson, who drives from Visalia to Fresno on a daily basis. "I'm driving there in the dark, home in the dark and when it's foggy when those lights aren't on I can't see where the road's heading ahead of me."
It's become a problem that cops and Caltrans are struggling to keep up with. "We're really having to rethink our security measures It's having to go one step further and more resources in trying to secure these locations," said Camarena.
Caltrans crews are also working to replace some of the copper wires with aluminum, but the quality just isn't as good. They're hoping you'll call if you see suspicious activity near their equipment.
fresno county, fresno, fresno central, copper wire theft, theft, crimetracker, local, stephanie stone
- Pedestrian killed in Fresno HWY 99 hit and run 22 min ago
- Trial wrapping up for ex-Clovis cop Kyle Pennington
- Man killed in rollover crash near Selma
- Tentative order in fight over Fresno water rate hikes 1 min ago
- HS rumor played role in Dinuba sexual battery case
- Fresno man gets prison in fatal hit-and-run crash
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- New effort to honor Hmong veterans
- Counting down to the Clovis Rodeo
- Fresno Co won't change Williamson Act tax standards
- Firefighters preparing for fire season at Lost Lake Park
- Suspect injures Fresno Police dog, officers say
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Porterville prepares for Iris Festival
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos