Fresno police ID'd man shot and killed by officer
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno police say the officer injured in an attack by a man he shot and killed has been released from the hospital.
Police have not identified the police officer who was hurt, revealing only that he is a 20 year veteran of the force. The department confirms he was released from the hospital and is now resting at home.
Police did release the name of the man who was killed by the officer. He was identified as Jimmy Ray Phea. He was 35 years old. He was on parole, living in Fresno with his sister after being released from prison in Michigan three months ago. He was serving time for armed robbery. His sister, Lucrecia called police to their apartment on Tuesday, and may have ended up saving the officers life.
Lucrecia did not want to talk on camera but told ABC30 her brother recently started using methamphetamine. She said he'd become erratic, and threatening toward her and her children. On Tuesday after she told him to move out of her apartment. He threatened her saying.
"I can kill you right now with my bare hands."
She says she fled the apartment and called police. After the officer arrived, she said her brother got violent when the officer tried to handcuff him.
She said her brother threw the officer into the wall, then held him down in a chokehold. When the officer called for help, she jumped on her brother hitting and biting him. The officer broke free, drew his gun and told her brother to stop.
Lucretia ran out just as one shot was fired. She told ABC30, "The officer had no choice but to shoot my brother."
crimetracker, officer involved shooting, shooting, fresno police department, fresno, fresno county, local, gene haagenson
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Man dies after being shot in the chest in Parlier
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car 4 min ago
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- Near drownings on the rise
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- AP: FBI investigates prison company
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box 56 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals 35 min ago