Fresno Co. Sheriff's "Reading Posse" to hold book drive for kids
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- ABC30 is teaming up with the Fresno County Sheriff's "Reading Posse" in hopes of improving literacy in the community.
Fresno County Sheriff Margaret Mims is on a mission to put books in the hands of children who need it most.
"What deputies do is when they come across children in our community they're able to retrieve books out of these bags," Mims said.
With the "sheriff's posse," Mims hopes to improve literacy in our community while cutting down on crime.
"Over 80 percent of people nationwide in prison are illiterate, and over 60 percent of young people in Fresno County Juvenile Hall read four or five levels below their grade level," Mims said. "I thought we could do something about that."
So far Mims says she's seen the reading efforts go a long way as deputies hand out books to children at jails, at crime scenes, or just while they're out patrolling.
"It's a brand new book, the child can keep it," Mims said. "It's free and it might be the only book that the child ever receives."
ABC30's parent company Disney and Marvel Comics want to support the sheriff's posse, so we're donating 20,000 books to valley children.
You can help by giving a brand new book, aged for preschool or elementary school children, and dropping it off at the Fresno County Sub Station on Shields and Clovis in Fresno on Friday.
The drive will run from 5 am to 7 pm.
fresno, fresno county, sheriff margaret mims, local, amanda venegas
- 'Family Annihilator' fugitive could be in California 24 min ago
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested 3 min ago
- Salmon moved on the San Joaquin River
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Bloody suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000
- Drought intensifying pest problems on farms
- Chelsea Clinton expecting 1st child
- Texas seizes polygamist group's secluded ranch
- Supermarket savings, getting more from your store
- "X-Men" director accused of sex abuse in lawsuit
- Accuweather Forecast
37 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos