Inmate found beaten in Fresno Co jail dies
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno County Sheriff detectives are investigating the apparent murder of a jail inmate, who faced charges himself for murder.
Investigators said Joe Anthony Rodriguez, 20, was found on his cell floor with severe trauma to his head and body on Wednesday night. He was taken to Community Regional Medical Center where he later died from his injuries.
Detectives said the homicide happened shortly before the nightly inmate count while all of the cell doors where open to the community area of the jail.
Detectives do not know the motive, but said the incident appears to be gang related.
Rodriguez was in custody for the December 2011 murder of 16-year-old Jose Calderon in Southwest Fresno. Authorities are still looking for a second suspect in the murder, 18-year-old Abel Perez.
fresno southwest, fresno, fresno county, homicide, murder, local
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia 20 min ago
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- 2.8-magnitude earthquake hits Coalinga area
- Authorities probe murder outside Merced apartment
- Clovis sting busts adults buying alcohol for minors 33 min ago
- Teenage boy shot and killed in Tulare
- Visalia man accused of sexually exploiting boy
- Magnitude-6.7 quake hits Chile's northern coast
- Church services remember those lost in NYC blast
- Gut bacteria: The secret weapon to weight loss?
- Car wash held to help family of murdered coach
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over California
- Fresno State women win Mountain West title
- 2014 'Bowl for Kids' Sake' held in North Fresno
- Clovis sting busts adults buying alcohol...
39 min ago