Inmate found beaten in Fresno Co jail dies
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno County Sheriff detectives are investigating the apparent murder of a jail inmate, who faced charges himself for murder.
Investigators said Joe Anthony Rodriguez, 20, was found on his cell floor with severe trauma to his head and body on Wednesday night. He was taken to Community Regional Medical Center where he later died from his injuries.
Detectives said the homicide happened shortly before the nightly inmate count while all of the cell doors where open to the community area of the jail.
Detectives do not know the motive, but said the incident appears to be gang related.
Rodriguez was in custody for the December 2011 murder of 16-year-old Jose Calderon in Southwest Fresno. Authorities are still looking for a second suspect in the murder, 18-year-old Abel Perez.
fresno southwest, fresno, fresno county, homicide, murder, local
- One person shot near the ice rink at the Fulton Mall
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Two of three missing Dinuba children found safe
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95
- Candlelight Christmas Tractor Parade and Wine Stroll
- Effort to complete Herndon bike trail underway
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Wanted Fresno burglar caught on camera
- Body of missing Delano woman found in canal
- Two injured in Madera drive-by shooting
- American teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- US economy grows at 3.6 percent rate in 3rd quarter
- Foothill residents preparing for freezing temps
- US jobless claims drop to 316,000, as layoffs slow
- Fire Safety