Inmate found beaten in Fresno Co jail dies
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno County Sheriff detectives are investigating the apparent murder of a jail inmate, who faced charges himself for murder.
Investigators said Joe Anthony Rodriguez, 20, was found on his cell floor with severe trauma to his head and body on Wednesday night. He was taken to Community Regional Medical Center where he later died from his injuries.
Detectives said the homicide happened shortly before the nightly inmate count while all of the cell doors where open to the community area of the jail.
Detectives do not know the motive, but said the incident appears to be gang related.
Rodriguez was in custody for the December 2011 murder of 16-year-old Jose Calderon in Southwest Fresno. Authorities are still looking for a second suspect in the murder, 18-year-old Abel Perez.
fresno southwest, fresno, fresno county, homicide, murder, local
- Massage parlor shutdown after tips of prostitution
- Tentative order in fight over Fresno water rate hikes
- HS rumor played role in Dinuba sexual battery case
- Fresno man gets prison in fatal hit-and-run crash
- New effort to honor Hmong veterans
- Counting down to the Clovis Rodeo
- Fresno Co won't change Williamson Act tax standards
- Firefighters preparing for fire season at Lost Lake Park
- Suspect injures Fresno Police dog, officers say
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Porterville prepares for Iris Festival
- 5 honored for helping save Clovis man's life
- Tulare burglary suspect shot, killed by TX trooper
- Did Apple map capture Loch Ness Monster?