Woman shot through front door during ambush in SW Houston
HOUSTON -- Houston police are investigating an attack on a woman in southwest Houston who was shot as she was arriving home from work Wednesday night.
Shirley Smith, 59, had just gotten home and was taking out the trash at around midnight when two men approached her. One of them had a weapon. They forced her into the house, telling her to shut off the alarm when it went off. But she took the opportunity to shut the door on them. In turn, they shot through the front door, hitting her in the leg.
Police were called to the scene, but the men escaped without taking anything. Police aren't sure if the suspects fled on foot or by car, but they remain on the loose.
Smith has been treated for her gunshot wound at Memorial Hermann Southwest Hospital and released.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, elissa rivas
- Fresno State's new president has been selected
- Arsonist believed to be on the loose near Orange Cove
- Family rocked by a violent tragedy finds comfort
- Mother of convicted rapist attacks ABC30 camera
- Two Fresno State students share their stories from Oklahoma
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- Xbox One to go on sale in late 2013
- 2016 Super Bowl to be played in 49ers' new stadium
- Crews race to find survivors of Oklahoma tornado
- Mysterious illness kills 2 in southeast Alabama
- Merced Co. may allow fireworks in unincorporated areas
- FUSD gives lessons on eating healthy
- Standoff ends peacefully in Central Fresno
- Jodi Arias asks for life in prison