Woman shot through front door during ambush in SW Houston
HOUSTON -- Houston police are investigating an attack on a woman in southwest Houston who was shot as she was arriving home from work Wednesday night.
Shirley Smith, 59, had just gotten home and was taking out the trash at around midnight when two men approached her. One of them had a weapon. They forced her into the house, telling her to shut off the alarm when it went off. But she took the opportunity to shut the door on them. In turn, they shot through the front door, hitting her in the leg.
Police were called to the scene, but the men escaped without taking anything. Police aren't sure if the suspects fled on foot or by car, but they remain on the loose.
Smith has been treated for her gunshot wound at Memorial Hermann Southwest Hospital and released.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, elissa rivas
- Harlem explosion, collapse leaves 1 dead, 15 hurt 3 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- Arrest made in Tulare County officer-involved shooting
- Surveillance video released in Hanford murder
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF
- Mariposa is putting limits on marijuana grows
- Noticeable drop in Valley flu cases
- New painkiller 10 times stronger than Vicodin
- Athletes embracing "extreme" exercise trends
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Tiger Cubs make big debut at Fresno Chaffee Zoo