Woman shot through front door during ambush in SW Houston
HOUSTON -- Houston police are investigating an attack on a woman in southwest Houston who was shot as she was arriving home from work Wednesday night.
Shirley Smith, 59, had just gotten home and was taking out the trash at around midnight when two men approached her. One of them had a weapon. They forced her into the house, telling her to shut off the alarm when it went off. But she took the opportunity to shut the door on them. In turn, they shot through the front door, hitting her in the leg.
Police were called to the scene, but the men escaped without taking anything. Police aren't sure if the suspects fled on foot or by car, but they remain on the loose.
Smith has been treated for her gunshot wound at Memorial Hermann Southwest Hospital and released.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, elissa rivas
- Bloody burglary suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- Valley cities among those where residents feel least safe 56 min ago
- Burglars steal firefighting tools from Forest Service
- Two dead after gunfire in the town of Lindcove
- Fresno County jail inmate death labeled a homicide 28 min ago
- Dinuba apartment manager arrested on forgery charges
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach
- Honey oil safety class for firefighters in Fresno
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Drought may impact farmers market prices
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Valley teens on a spring break job hunt
- Kingsburg water meters change watering habits