Houston-area man among American hostages in Algeria
HOUSTON -- One of the American hostages in Algeria is a Houston-area man. The State Department has asked his identity not be revealed.
The hostage's brother lives in Nederland, Texas. Last word from the State Department, he says, is that his brother was still alive. He has declined an on-camera interview though, too worried still about his brother's safety.
"They won't let us. The FBI says don't talk to anybody right now," said the hostage's brother.
At the Nederland home of the hostage's brother, tensions are high. They don't know if their loved one is alive or dead.
"We haven't heard that. We don't know," he said.
The hostage is 57 years old and his name is listed in public records affiliated with a northeast Harris County home. No one answered when we arrived.
His family has asked us not to identify him, fearing it could jeopardize his safety.
Neighbors say they don't know the man well, but they are hoping for his safe release soon.
"Yeah, of course, you know. Yeah, I hope he is better," said neighbor Lan Thai.
"It is really sad that this happened," said neighbor Cambria White.
The Nederland native's family says he worked previously for another company previously in Houston. Englobal confirms he was a project manager there from 1998 through October of last year.
We don't know if he is among those still alive or the unknown number of casualties now in Algeria.
Information coming out of Algeria still is inexact. There are some reports of hostages escaping but specifics are unknown.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, kevin quinn
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- 3D printer and Twitter used to make Oreo cookies
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals