Police: Woman shoots man before turning gun on herself
PEARLAND, TX -- Pearland police say a fight between two people with a turbulent past ended in a shooting that left one dead and the other injured.
It happened around 4:45pm Thursday at a home in the 5700 block of Grovesnor Street.
Police say Martin Elfrey and Wendy Weaver, a man and woman with a history of domestic disturbances, had gotten into another fight.
Elfrey reportedly decided he'd spend the night somewhere else, and as he packed up, he asked Weaver for his Colt 10 mm handgun, which she'd hidden from him. Weaver went into a back bedroom and brought out the pistol. But when she returned, she allegedly aimed the gun at Elfrey and opened fire.
Police say Elfrey was shot in the middle of the back as he ran out of the house to seek help from a neighbor. Weaver ran after him and cornered him in the neighbor's backyard. Police say she fired another two shots at the 45-year-old Elfrey but missed.
The neighbor called 911 and when police arrived on the scene, Elfrey was lying on the ground near the house and Weaver was in the yard. As an officer tried to shield Elfrey from Weaver, she reportedly fired another two rounds toward them but missed.
That's when the 44-year-old woman turned the gun on herself and fired a bullet in her head. She had already died by the time emergency personnel arrived on the scene.
Elfrey was transported via LifeFlight to Memorial Hermann Hospital. His condition was not immediately available.
Police say they found 10 domestic disturbances reports involving the two between July 2011 and January 2012.
Elfrey pleaded guilty to a disorderly conduct charge in July 2012, but it wasn't immediately clear whether that charge was connected to an incident involving Weaver.
Weaver was arrested once by Pearland PD in 2011 for an outstanding traffic warrant.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- One person dead in Northwest Fresno accident
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart 41 min ago
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Unemployment rises to 6.7 percent in February
- Fresno County veteran receives national award
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts
- Con man steals millions from elderly
- Man sentenced in fatal Los Banos DUI crash
- Photos: 16th-century 'rocket cat' weaponry pictures
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Growers discuss issues at Citrus Showcase
- Consumer Reports: Beware of tax scams
- Downtown Fresno gas leak prompts evacuations