Sheriff Margaret Mims addresses gun control
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno County's top law enforcer says she's standing with sheriff's across the country- many of whom are coming forward, saying they won't enforce federal gun laws. This comes on the heels of President Obama's new gun violence prevention proposal. 23 executive orders are aimed at gun control.
Sheriff Margaret Mims says there's been a steady increase in concealed carry licenses, ever since the President's re-election in November. In order to handle the demand, the Fresno County Sheriff's Office will now feature online applications on it's website. However, local gun dealers can't keep up with the demand.
Jacob Belemjian says there's a substantial weapons shortage. He manages "The Firing Line" indoor shooting range and gun store in Clovis. He told Action News, "There is not a firearm to be ordered in the distributors are out, the manufacturers are out and they're making guns as fast as they can but customers came in and bought everything that was available to be bought." He also says customers are hoarding ammunition, even buying things they don't need, out of political fear. "People are freaked out that Washington and state government will allow, ban or confiscate... some of their freedoms will be taken away."
Belemjian says a majority of the buyers are first time gun owners, or people who haven't bought weapons in a long time. The President's proposal includes a ban on assault weapons, capping magazine clip capacity, orders to make more federal data available for background checks, and bringing back government research for gun violence.
Mims told Action News she will not enforce any gun control that she sees as unconstitutional, and won't infringe upon the right to bear arms. It's a sentiment that Belemjian echoes. "We don't need any more laws. Laws only work on people who obey the law."
The Sheriff says she does support a few aspects of the President's proposal. She backs the added funding for local law enforcement, especially in schools.
fresno county sheriff department, local, stephanie stone
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight 51 min ago
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno apartment
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate SoCal hospital attacks 43 min ago
- Sikh community celebrates Vaisakhi in Caruthers
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Grim work for families as more bodies discovered 38 min ago
- 7,000 Easter eggs rain down from helicopter
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al-Qaida training camps
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help
- Prizefighter Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Health Watch: 5 clues to Alzheimer's 58 min ago