Robber threatens to burn down gas station
PASADENA, TX -- An armed robber uses an unusual weapon to threaten a clerk at a local gas station -- gasoline and a lighter. And it was all captured on surveillance camera.
It happened just before 10pm on Saturday, January 12 the Big C Market located at 2501 Preston in Pasadena.
The security video shows the robbery from start to finish. The camera rolls when the man takes a 4-pack of beer out of a cooler. But in his other hand he's carrying a plastic gas container. He goes to the checkout booth and starts pouring gasoline on the floor. Feldon Dcohe was the clerk behind the bullet proof glass.
"He took beers and dropped beers on counter, and then started dropping gas," Dcohe said. "Right away he started asking for money."
Emphasizing his demand for cash, the robber can be seen holding up the gas container and in his other hand, a lighter. At that point the clerk decided rather than risk a fire to turn over what money there was. It turned out to be about $100.
"Like within one minute he took the money and then he went out," Dcohe recalled.
The man is described as being in his late 30s or 40s, about 5 foot 9 inches. The car he drove off was a silver 4 door Pontiac Grand Prix or Trans Am.
Robberies are not unusual. The method involved in this one was -- gasoline and a lighter. Some customers of the convenience store have their own theory about that.
Regular customer Edgar Torango said, "Maybe he didn't have a gun. Crazy."
The fact that he was not wearing a mask, police hope, will help lead to his identification. Pasadena police have issued a description of the suspect, who appeared to be a Hispanic male in his 40s. He had black, bushy hair and was balding in the back. He is described as about 5-foot 9-inches tall with a medium build. He was wearing Realtree camouflage jacket with a dark shirt underneath, light jeans and black shoes.
Anyone with any information regarding the identity of the suspect in this case is asked to call the Pasadena Fire Marshal's Office or the Pasadena Police Department at 713-477-1221 or Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS (8477). All callers will remain anonymous. If any Crime Stoppers information leads to an arrest or the filing of felony charges, the tipster will be eligible for up to a $5,000 cash reward.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
pasadena, local, deborah wrigley
- One person dead in Northwest Fresno accident
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege 29 min ago
- AP: FBI investigates prison company
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Girl Scout Cookie dessert recipes
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Unemployment rises to 6.7 percent in February
- Fresno County veteran receives national award
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts
- Con man steals millions from elderly
- Man sentenced in fatal Los Banos DUI crash
- Photos: 16th-century 'rocket cat' weaponry pictures
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law