HPD: Man tries to shoot himself in gas station
HOUSTON -- Police are investigating a shooting at a gas station/convenience store in east Houston.
The shooting happened at about 2:15pm inside a Texaco station at 9101 Clinton Drive. According to police at the scene, a 28-year-old man, who's a regular customer of the store, went in and grabbed the store clerk's gun. He reportedly tried to shoot himself in the head, but the gun wouldn't fire.
We're told the clerk struggled with the man, trying to prevent him from shooting anyone, when the man then pointed the gun at a customer in the store.
"Once he pointed the weapon towards me, I left right then," said customer John Bowman. "So I was sitting outside on the curb. That's when the clerk came running outside. That's when somebody called the police. Once he was able to get somebody to call the police for him, the weapon went off, two times -- Pow, pow!"
Police arrived on the scene and took the man into custody after a short standoff. He was not struck, nor was anyone else injured. We're told the man will be charged with attempted robbery.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- 5.7 earthquake strikes northeast of Chico
- BBQ101 at Caruthers High School
- Parlier homicide victim identified as Francisco Esquivel-Lucio
- Maldonado family sues Fresno over underground bike path
- Fire destroys the Oakhurst Lodge
- Fresno Police looking for robbery suspect
- Bicyclist hit by big rig in Madera County
- Jurors deadlock on Jodi Arias penalty
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- Man allegedly downloads child porn at McDonald's
- Obama defends drone strikes but says no cure-all
- Crisis Map of Moore, Oklahoma Tornado Damage
- 4 arrested after exchanging gunfire with police
- Yellow Jacket iPhone stun gun case