HPD: Man tries to shoot himself in gas station
HOUSTON -- Police are investigating a shooting at a gas station/convenience store in east Houston.
The shooting happened at about 2:15pm inside a Texaco station at 9101 Clinton Drive. According to police at the scene, a 28-year-old man, who's a regular customer of the store, went in and grabbed the store clerk's gun. He reportedly tried to shoot himself in the head, but the gun wouldn't fire.
We're told the clerk struggled with the man, trying to prevent him from shooting anyone, when the man then pointed the gun at a customer in the store.
"Once he pointed the weapon towards me, I left right then," said customer John Bowman. "So I was sitting outside on the curb. That's when the clerk came running outside. That's when somebody called the police. Once he was able to get somebody to call the police for him, the weapon went off, two times -- Pow, pow!"
Police arrived on the scene and took the man into custody after a short standoff. He was not struck, nor was anyone else injured. We're told the man will be charged with attempted robbery.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- 2.8-magnitude earthquake hits Coalinga area
- Authorities probe murder outside Merced apartment
- Teenage boy shot and killed in Tulare
- Visalia man accused of sexually exploiting boy
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over California 19 min ago
- Fresno State women win Mountain West title
- Gut bacteria: The secret weapon to weight loss?
- Car wash held to help family of murdered coach
- Visalia shooting sends man to hospital
- Man arrested after Hanford drug and weapons bust
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- 2014 'Bowl for Kids' Sake' held in North Fresno