HPD: Man tries to shoot himself in gas station
HOUSTON -- Police are investigating a shooting at a gas station/convenience store in east Houston.
The shooting happened at about 2:15pm inside a Texaco station at 9101 Clinton Drive. According to police at the scene, a 28-year-old man, who's a regular customer of the store, went in and grabbed the store clerk's gun. He reportedly tried to shoot himself in the head, but the gun wouldn't fire.
We're told the clerk struggled with the man, trying to prevent him from shooting anyone, when the man then pointed the gun at a customer in the store.
"Once he pointed the weapon towards me, I left right then," said customer John Bowman. "So I was sitting outside on the curb. That's when the clerk came running outside. That's when somebody called the police. Once he was able to get somebody to call the police for him, the weapon went off, two times -- Pow, pow!"
Police arrived on the scene and took the man into custody after a short standoff. He was not struck, nor was anyone else injured. We're told the man will be charged with attempted robbery.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- The Red Wave hits the road
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Police search for suspects who shot a Fresno teacher
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Fire burns Three Rivers landmark
- Valley stores open extra hour for holiday rush
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
abc30.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos