First Five gives to children in need
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- There was a big giveaway today in Southwest Fresno on Saturday -- all for families in need.
First Five Fresno County says the gift giving season may be over, but thousand of Valley children are still in need. The organization collected nearly 6,000 jackets, 500,000 diapers, and about 1,200 pajamas to give to the many families that showed up looking for assistance.
First Five's overall goal with the event is also working to help parents become more self-sufficient.
"We're trying to connect them to employment training programs, health programs, and programs like WIC so they can really have what they need to support the well being of their kids," said Kendra Rogers, Executive Director, First 5.
The families were all prescreened and given vouchers before the event. There will be nearly a dozen other giveaways in Fresno County within the next month.
fresno county, fresno, fresno southwest, charity, local
- Get the Winning Numbers for Powerball! 48 min ago
- Valley man kills intruder with samurai sword
- Welty's final commencement at Fresno State
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Ricin letter case: FBI searches WA apartment
- Pacers knock out Knicks with 106-99 win in Game 6
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2
- San Jose Sharks fined $100,000 for GM's comments
- Kai murder investigation details revealed
- Dog pack kills nearly 80 animals at campus
- Sikh man who was beaten shares his story
- Police investigate a home invasion in Central Fresno
- Mother of a Fresno toddler talks after hit-and-run
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos