First Five gives to children in need
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- There was a big giveaway today in Southwest Fresno on Saturday -- all for families in need.
First Five Fresno County says the gift giving season may be over, but thousand of Valley children are still in need. The organization collected nearly 6,000 jackets, 500,000 diapers, and about 1,200 pajamas to give to the many families that showed up looking for assistance.
First Five's overall goal with the event is also working to help parents become more self-sufficient.
"We're trying to connect them to employment training programs, health programs, and programs like WIC so they can really have what they need to support the well being of their kids," said Kendra Rogers, Executive Director, First 5.
The families were all prescreened and given vouchers before the event. There will be nearly a dozen other giveaways in Fresno County within the next month.
fresno county, fresno, fresno southwest, charity, local
- 4 arrested after exchanging gunfire with police
- Authorities are investigating a homicide in Fresno County
- Andy Vidak wins 16th State Senate District
- FBI fatally shoots man in Boston bombing probe
- Stand-up paddling is catching on 23 min ago
- David Cameron: London attack could be terror
- Life or death? Jodi Arias jury deadlocked
- Family rocked by a violent tragedy finds comfort
- Crabtree may have a torn Achilles tendon
- Arsonist believed to be on the loose near Orange Cove
- Mother of convicted rapist attacks ABC30 camera
- Ben Bernanke signals Fed to maintain stimulus efforts
- Eric Garcetti elected Los Angeles mayor
- LA voters back measure to cap number of pot shops