First Five gives to children in need
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- There was a big giveaway today in Southwest Fresno on Saturday -- all for families in need.
First Five Fresno County says the gift giving season may be over, but thousand of Valley children are still in need. The organization collected nearly 6,000 jackets, 500,000 diapers, and about 1,200 pajamas to give to the many families that showed up looking for assistance.
First Five's overall goal with the event is also working to help parents become more self-sufficient.
"We're trying to connect them to employment training programs, health programs, and programs like WIC so they can really have what they need to support the well being of their kids," said Kendra Rogers, Executive Director, First 5.
The families were all prescreened and given vouchers before the event. There will be nearly a dozen other giveaways in Fresno County within the next month.
fresno county, fresno, fresno southwest, charity, local
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn 4 min ago
- Perez and Barrera found guilty of 1st degree murder
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Photos: Easter traditions explained
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- Twin boys fight off carjacker in Texas
- Michaels Crafts data breach, nearly 3M compromised
- 'Family Annihilator' fugitive could be in California
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign
- Visalia approves limiting residents' water use
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested
- Gas prices rise as temperatures heat up