First Five gives to children in need
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- There was a big giveaway today in Southwest Fresno on Saturday -- all for families in need.
First Five Fresno County says the gift giving season may be over, but thousand of Valley children are still in need. The organization collected nearly 6,000 jackets, 500,000 diapers, and about 1,200 pajamas to give to the many families that showed up looking for assistance.
First Five's overall goal with the event is also working to help parents become more self-sufficient.
"We're trying to connect them to employment training programs, health programs, and programs like WIC so they can really have what they need to support the well being of their kids," said Kendra Rogers, Executive Director, First 5.
The families were all prescreened and given vouchers before the event. There will be nearly a dozen other giveaways in Fresno County within the next month.
fresno county, fresno, fresno southwest, charity, local
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Robot helps in design of High-Speed Rail
- George the Giraffe thanks kind students
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos