Valley events honor Doctor Martin Luther King Junior
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Several events are taking place here in the Valley to honor Doctor Martin Luther King Junior ahead of the federal holiday on Monday.
Saturday morning, community members gathered for a commemorative breakfast at the Clovis Veterans Memorial Building. Mayor pro tem Lynne Ashbeck served as the keynote speaker, and some teens sang for the crowd.
Organizers say this is a chance to remember the contributions the late civil rights leader made to our nation, and to keep his legacy alive.
"Now the goal is for us to continue to grab that," said Gregory Barfield, "So we don't just celebrate Dr. King's dream over one weekend."
The celebrations in honor of Doctor King continue Monday morning at 9 a.m. with a march from Saint John's Cathedral in Downtown Fresno, to the Veteran Memorial Auditorium.
- Marathon tragedy inspires woman to help save lives
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno apartment
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate SoCal hospital attacks
- Sikh community celebrates Vaisakhi in Caruthers
- Grim work for families as more bodies discovered
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al-Qaida training camps
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- 7,000 Easter eggs rain down from helicopter
- Health Watch: 5 clues to Alzheimer's
- Consumer Reports evaluates top toilet papers
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Prizefighter Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76