Valley events honor Doctor Martin Luther King Junior
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Several events are taking place here in the Valley to honor Doctor Martin Luther King Junior ahead of the federal holiday on Monday.
Saturday morning, community members gathered for a commemorative breakfast at the Clovis Veterans Memorial Building. Mayor pro tem Lynne Ashbeck served as the keynote speaker, and some teens sang for the crowd.
Organizers say this is a chance to remember the contributions the late civil rights leader made to our nation, and to keep his legacy alive.
"Now the goal is for us to continue to grab that," said Gregory Barfield, "So we don't just celebrate Dr. King's dream over one weekend."
The celebrations in honor of Doctor King continue Monday morning at 9 a.m. with a march from Saint John's Cathedral in Downtown Fresno, to the Veteran Memorial Auditorium.
- Fresno police target gangs in new operation
- $20 thousand reward for missing Fresno man
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled
- Ex-Fresno paralegal found guilty of murder
- Warming tent setup for homeless in Merced County
- Debate on Fresno's water rate hike gets heated
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
- Lemoore Naval Air Station pilots return home
- Fatal Planada shooting alarmingly similar to another
- Sonic apologizes for racist sign
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Lawsuit filed after arrest made in Elbow Room fight
- 6 missing people found alive in northern Nevada
- Putin vows to beef up Arctic military presence