Valley events honor Doctor Martin Luther King Junior
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Several events are taking place here in the Valley to honor Doctor Martin Luther King Junior ahead of the federal holiday on Monday.
Saturday morning, community members gathered for a commemorative breakfast at the Clovis Veterans Memorial Building. Mayor pro tem Lynne Ashbeck served as the keynote speaker, and some teens sang for the crowd.
Organizers say this is a chance to remember the contributions the late civil rights leader made to our nation, and to keep his legacy alive.
"Now the goal is for us to continue to grab that," said Gregory Barfield, "So we don't just celebrate Dr. King's dream over one weekend."
The celebrations in honor of Doctor King continue Monday morning at 9 a.m. with a march from Saint John's Cathedral in Downtown Fresno, to the Veteran Memorial Auditorium.
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate 36 min ago
- Sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- Fresno cop investigated for auto theft, drugs
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Trevor Bishop charged with murder in child death
- Community bands together for Officer Jon Linzey
- Chef Shayna's Irish favorites
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- High court upholds Delta Smelt protection
- Man who woke up inside body bag dies
- Malaysia widens search for missing plane
- Man missing near Shaver Lake found alive and well
- More than 400 guns were seized in SoCal
- Family headed to DC for father's Medal of Honor