Coarsegold teen killed in skateboarding accident
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Coarsegold teen was killed when he skateboarded down a steep hill and hit a car.
The victim, Jacob Schumaker, was 17 years old. The accident occurred at a normally quiet intersection in the Yosemite Lakes Park community.
Sgt. Brad Denham of the California Highway Patrol explained how it happened. "The young man on the skateboard was traveling westbound on Yosemite Springs Parkway. He traversed a skateboard through a stop sign on Road 400 directly into the path of an oncoming vehicle driven by a 64-year-old woman from Coarsegold. It's just a very tragic situation."
The driver of the car along with other witnesses tried desperately to save the young man's life, but he died of traumatic injuries at the scene.
Schumaker had been a student at Yosemite High School. Friend Katie Carrington, who is 16, said Jacob was a fun loving and carefree boy. "Always making jokes about anything, anything at all. He didn't care about anything."
Natalya Choin, 16, was also a friend of Jacob's. She said he was never without his skateboard. "He skateboarded all the time, day and night. I saw him two days ago. He came over to my house, just skateboarded around, that's what he did. All the time He was very good at it. That was his life . That's what he did all the time."
The Highway Patrol said there was nothing to indicate this was anything more than a very sad, and unfortunate accident.
yosemite lakes, coarsegold, raymond, hensley lake, oneals, madera county, accident, local, gene haagenson
- Foothill residents preparing for freezing temps
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Serial college campus sex offender to be released soon
- Toys for Tots warehouse sits empty
- Tips to protect Fido from the freeze
- Freeze threatens unique tropical farm
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- 2 Men accused of firing 40 shots at law enforcement
- Wonder Woman cast for Batman and Superman film
- Autopsy: Walker died from impact, fire in crash
- Bulldog gang members have gun battle with officer
- Fracking: Central Valley boom or nightmare?
- Mexico: Stolen radioactive cobalt box found empty
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades