Organizers: Marvel Comics Book Drive a success
FRESNO COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- Organizers are calling this year's "Reading With Marvel Comics Book Drive" a success. A grand total of 21,000 books were collected to support the Fresno County Sheriff's Reading Posse.
The community came out bright and early to show their support for the "Reading With Marvel Comics Book Drive." ABC30's parent company, Disney and Marvel Comics, donated 20,000 books to kick start the drive.
For Sheriff Margaret Mims reading is a passion, but after seeing the rate of illiteracy among those in jail and at juvenile halls, she decided to start the "Sheriff's Posse" a program where deputies hand out books to Valley kids.
"The public wants to help and many times they don't know how. This gives anybody the opportunity to help out -- not just the Sheriff's office, but the children in our community, and prevent crime in the future," said Fresno County Sheriff Margaret Mims.
Other residents heard that message and dropped off books at the Sheriff's sub station off Shields and Clovis.
"It's a good cause. There's a lot of kids out there that need to learn how to read and giving them a book would be wonderful," said Elvia Reyna, Fresno.
Deputies were on hand to collect the books, which they will in turn give out to kids in the community or while children are visiting a family member at the jail.
Parent Delilah Martinez brought her own kids by the book drive to donate. "My children love to read and we buy them books often. So we just thought we would share with other children who don't have the same opportunities."
Her son Eight year old Jaime Martinez was happy to donate books on behalf of his siblings and got a comic book in return. "I just wanted to give some books to kids that need to learn to read."
Giving the gift of reading, one book at a time.
fresno, fresno county, fresno east central, charity, fresno county sheriff department, sheriff margaret mims, abc30, disney, marvel comics, local
- Crews search for Fresno man near Shaver Lake
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno
- Rockets strike Israel, jeopardizing truce talk 23 min ago
- Driver kills 2, injures 23 at SXSW festival, police say
- Searchers scour rubble after gas explosion kills 7
- Golden Gate Bridge survivor speaks at Fresno State
- Applications for US jobless aid dip to 3-month low
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Undercover: CPD stopping alcohol sales to minors
- Fresno police connect vintage car thefts to guns, gangs
- Fresno's most notorious mass murder remembered
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings
- Photos: Incredible images from Colorado car chase
- Almond crop expected to take a massive hit